HMS Bounty by DaveBaxt - FINISHED - Amati - 1:60

Hello all. I am still relatively new to buillding models and have just completed my first model which was fairly straight forward. However I think I have really upped my game with this one hopefully I haven,t  bit off more than I can chew. The reason I picked this one is that Amati have 17 videos on how to assemble on Youtube.

I have checked that everything is in the box, although it only gives a list but not how many of each,however it all appears to be there. 

I have already come across a few issues which were explained in the  first video 

mainly with assembly of the keel , frames, false deck support pieces and false deck. The only problem so far which has caused some thought which although pointed out in the video which was the hole in the false deck for the mizzen mast lines up with one of the bulkheads. Unfortunately the guy on the video does not mention a solution to this problem. Fortunately I believe i have found a way . I will try and post a couple of photos which  show how I have done this. I am of coarse assuming that the hole in the deck is accurate.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

I have just completed the fitting of the bulkheads and the strengthening pieces.for and aft the ones fwd were way out and i had to remove a lot of wood to make them fit. I will add some photos as regards the assembly of the bulheads with the great help of using lego  to make sure they were 90 degs to the keel and parallel to each other.

I have a number of questions regarding the next way to go. The instructions say after checking everything lines up with the deck,it can then be fitted after first planking it. However in the videos the guy does not carry out the planking until the deck is fitted,however in both cases the deck is fitted before the start of planking the hull. I have thought for me it would be easier to plank the hull first as I would like to use a home made jig ,whereby it is secured to the bulkheads which would be more difficult if the deck was fitted. I appreciate that there would be less chance of twisting if the deck was fitted first. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

When I do start the first layer of planking I intend to try chucks way and line off the hull first. Also According to the instructions and videos the stem piece is not fitted until the first layer of planking is completed but before the second layer, however after watching chucks videos on planking I notice that the stem piece is already fitted before the planking . I am not sure if it will make much difference unless you have a rabbit .This will then help to reduce the keel and the stem will help to secure the planks. Unfortunatley  the instructions to not show rabbiting and the guy in the video has not done this either . I would be most grateful for any input on both these issues before I go ahead.

I have just completed the fitting of the bulkheads and the strengthening pieces.for and aft the ones fwd were way out and i had to remove a lot of wood to DSC_1207.thumb.JPG.ebda7ad54839d10651367b076dfa6210.JPGmake them fit. I will add some photos as regards the assembly of the bulheads with the great help of using lego  to make sure they were 90 degs to the keel and parallel to each other.

I have a number of questions regarding the next way to go. The instructions say after checking everything lines up with the deck,it can then be fitted after first planking it. However in the videos the guy does not carry out the planking until the deck is fitted,however in both cases the deck is fitted before the start of planking the hull. I have thought for me it would be easier to plank the hull first as I would like to use a home made jig ,whereby it is secured to the bulkheads which would be more difficult if the deck was fitted. I appreciate that there would be less chance of twisting if the deck was fitted first. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

When I do start the first layer of planking I intend to try chucks way and line off the hull first. Also According to the instructions and videos the stem piece is not fitted until the first layer of planking is completed but before the second layer, however after watching chucks videos on planking I notice that the stem piece is already fitted before the planking . I am not sure if it will make much difference unless you have a rabbit .This will then help to reduce the keel and the stem will help to secure the planks. Unfortunatley  the instructions to not show rabbiting and the guy in the video has not done this either . I would be most grateful for any input on both these issues before I go ahead.

DSC_1214.JPG

DSC_1213.JPG

DSC_1209.JPG

Latest . Completed attaching bulkheads to keel. Fitted and shaped strengthening pieces to stem and stern. Fitted balsa wood blocks to bow and stern and sanded to shape . Fitted bulwatks made out of 1mm plywood and then fitted a number of planks t gave the same distance from the deck

DSC_1222.JPG

DSC_1221.JPG

Hello Dave,

Looks to me like you're well on your way.  Very nice job on the shaping of the balsa blocks.  Are you planning to remove the pins that are holding your four rows of planking in place? Also please forgive me if my question sounds strange but I don't recall applying planking strips half way.  It's been awhile so maybe I'm wrong but I believe when planking I ran the strips completely fore to aft.  I won't be insulted if you set me straight.  Keep going, looking good.

Best,

Jerry

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Hello Dave,

Looks to me like you're well on your way.  Very nice job on the shaping of the balsa blocks.  Are you planning to remove the pins that are holding your four rows of planking in place? Also please forgive me if my question sounds strange but I don't recall applying planking strips half way.  It's been awhile so maybe I'm wrong but I believe when planking I ran the strips completely fore to aft.  I won't be insulted if you set me straight.  Keep going, looking good.

Best,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry and welcome aboard. I think in the instructions it does say to plank that part of the hull but not until the bulwark to keel is completed. The guy in the Amati video used 1 mm plywood instead of planking which is not in the kit. I probably would have done the same but I have not got any  spare plywood of that size..I also wanted to see how I would get on bending the planks. I managed this but its far from perfect .I also wanted to get a line going the full length of the ship as I thought it would be easier for lining off the hull. I am planing on tapering the planks where needed and trying Chucks method of bending and fitting the planks.   Please feel free to add anything else which you feel could be incorrect as thats what I am here for to learn.

Regards the pins. I will try and remove them if I can't get them out will just file the heads down. I am planning on not using anymore if I can and just use pins with a flat piece of scrap wood for securing. I have also thought about using tree nails. Now that I have started planking I am also using fold back clips or here in the uk call bull dog clips Cheers Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

I'm glad you mentioned  tapering the planks, Dave, as that's the only way you'll manage the compound curves of the hull.  I looked over our Bounty and truthfully, looking at a finished  model doesn't help in any way.  Also, you never mentioned what you intend to do about the pins holding the planking.

I  must admit, you're getting my interest peaked...I hope I can be of help.

Best,

Jerry

Hi davebaxt     in your first post you mention the videos,   is that amatis  official videos ?   i ask this because i had a look for myself  and saw that a chap called Davaoshipmodeller has done a series on amatis bounty   , he does models for a living  and it maybe worth a look  ,there do seem to be a few issuses with this kit  but he shows you how to get round them,  good luck with the kit   you will get there !     bluff bows = test of patience     cheers    sticker

12 hours ago, sticker said:

Hi davebaxt     in your first post you mention the videos,   is that amatis  official videos ?   i ask this because i had a look for myself  and saw that a chap called Davaoshipmodeller has done a series on amatis bounty   , he does models for a living  and it maybe worth a look  ,there do seem to be a few issuses with this kit  but he shows you how to get round them,  good luck with the kit   you will get there !     bluff bows = test of patience     cheers    sticker. Thanks  for your Input.  I think they will be the same videos, I am not sure if they are Amatis official videos however the guy in the video keeps mentioning that it is a commisiioned  Bounty and  due to the Amati introduction and a link to the videos from their website perhaps it was commissiod by Amati. Just a thought and could be wrong.

14 hours ago, Jerry said:

I'm glad you mentioned  tapering the planks, Dave, as that's the only way you'll manage the compound curves of the hull.  I looked over our Bounty and truthfully, looking at a finished  model doesn't help in any way.  Also, you never mentioned what you intend to do about the pins holding the planking.

I  must admit, you're getting my interest peaked...I hope I can be of help.

Best,

Jerry

Hello again Jerry and welcome back.Regards the pins. It is my intention of no longer using the Brass pins as I am worried in case they wil cause me problems with the second layer  of planking. The ones I have already used I will try and remove and if I can,t I will try and file them flush if possible. I am planning on using drawing pins and scrap pieces of wood pushed into the edges of the bulkheads together with fold back clips and basicaly anything that will allow me to keep the planks flat and prevent as much of clinkering ( I think it is called that) as possible.

Regards getting your interest back up I really hope so Jerry as I am sure your experiences will be invaluable, especially later on when I try rigging for the first time

Edited by DaveBaxt

Hi, just seen your build for the first time. Do not know much about this kit but looks like you have used walnut for the deck planking and the first planking, is this correct? Usually this would be for the second planking only, don't want you to end up short for that.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Here are a couple of photos of my Planking fan and marking off the hull. I am not sure whether to use this method or split the sections into 4 where the planks will naturally lay flat. The last time I did this my planking turned out ok but it took me ages. I think I will  mark the hull of using the planking fan and then go over with a few temporary planks and see how it looks. 

DSC_1227.JPG

DSC_1228.JPG

4 hours ago, Thunder said:

Hi, just seen your build for the first time. Do not know much about this kit but looks like you have used walnut for the deck planking and the first planking, is this correct? Usually this would be for the second planking only, don't want you to end up short for that.

Yes definately Walnut 1.5 mm x 6 mm and it a real pain a very slow process of ahaping and bending. I have already split quite a few. As Jerry has said it is much easier to taper them for bending.  I have considered using Lime strips 1.5 mm x 5 mm which is much easier to work with however as difficult it is I think I will continue. I have received a number of suggestion from a number of people  see 

I have made a start and will post some more photos of the best way forward for me. Thanks once again for you question.

Before I pick my next model I will ask someone who has previously build it what the planks are made of and if the instructions are in English.

Edited by DaveBaxt

5 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

Cheers    sticker. Thanks  for your Input.  I think they will be the same videos, I am not sure if they are Amatis official videos however the guy in the video keeps mentioning that it is a commisiioned  Bounty and  due to the Amati introduction and a link to the videos from their website perhaps it was commissiod by Amati. Just a thought and could be wrong.

Quick update regarding planking. The photos are showing the easiest way of securing the Walnut planks  for me as the fold back clips are not cutting it. I am also having to drill tiny holes in the edges of the bulwarks to make getting the large headed pins to go in easier. This way I am not actually  drilling the planks but just to the side in the hope that this will not allow any gaps between the planks. As you cab see from one of the photos I did not acheive this as hoped so had to use a couple of clamps to keep the planks together. This is a slow process but I am in no hurry and would like to make as good a job as I can., even though these planks will be hidden by the second layer of planking.Also marking the sections using modelling tape as not been a success so might replace them with thread from the kit. Hope there is a bit spare in the kit.

DSC_1230.JPG

DSC_1231.JPG

7 hours ago, Thunder said:

The instructions say that both decks and second Hull  layer are 0.5 x 4 mm Walnut . First layer hull planking is 1.5 mm x 6 mm. Walnut Thanks for asking best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

Hello Dave,

To make sure that I haven't given you any wrong information, I double checked my Bounty Log .  You will see that when Charlene and I planked the hull, we did, indeed, run our planking the entire length of the hull.  Only when we were near completion we had to fill in with shorter pieces of planking.  Please click on the HMS Bounty link at the end of this post to see what I mean.  I admire your patience and thoroughness so please don't let me interfere with your routine.

Best,

Jerry

12 hours ago, Jerry said:

Hello Dave,

To make sure that I haven't given you any wrong information, I double checked my Bounty Log .  You will see that when Charlene and I planked the hull, we did, indeed, run our planking the entire length of the hull.  Only when we were near completion we had to fill in with shorter pieces of planking.  Please click on the HMS Bounty link at the end of this post to see what I mean.  I admire your patience and thoroughness so please don't let me interfere with your routine.

Best,

Jerry

I appreciate where you are coming from Jerry and will attempt the full planks where I can , When I am bending the planks I am having to soak them in hot water for 10 minutes and have been doing this in a sealed flask which governs the length of my planks. I wish I had access to steaming the planks but I am doing this model out of the house and in a purpose build shed so do not have any heating other than an electric kettle. At the moment I should manage as I only need to bend one end. Thanks once again for your input. Best regards Dave

Just completed the first Band ( 10 planks ) I attempted to fit full length planks but due to breaking a few when bending I ended up using more planks than I would have liked. I do have a few spares which I managed to source but these are 5 mm wide and not 6. I am trying to bend the planks edge ways as in chucks videos and this is where I have just pushed them a fraction too far and split.

As you can see in the photos I have also scrapped the idea of using tape and have now used black rigging rope. Hopefully this will last a bit longer. I have also adjusted them better so they lay a bit better. Because I have moved them I will need to measure up again and will probably just mark off a band at a time. I also think I may need to drop a few planks forward as in one of the bands it looks a bit tight. I am not sure if this is the correct approach as it is very time consuming and there will be another layer of planks on top. I am not worried how long it takes me as I need the practice in trying to perfect this way of laying planks.

DSC_1233.JPG

DSC_1234.JPG

Hello Dave,

As I continue reading your trials and tribulations some of my building tricks have come back to mind.  I'm sorry that you are having trouble bending the planking. So, with respect to bending the planks, especially at the bow where the angles are more severe soaking them for a long time allowed me to bend them without breaking any.  What I did when I first began to build HMS Victory in 2013, I bought a 4 foot length of 4" PVC and two end caps.  One was glued to one end of the 4' piece and the other was just fitted to the other end but not glue.  I filled this with about 1 meter of water and put all my planking strips in it and removed them only as I need them.  It didn't hurt one bit that they were soaking for days and the result was never breaking a planking strip when bending it around severe curves.  I believe soaking them for ten minutes is not long enough and furthermore, the water doesn't have to be hot if you soak them long enough.  As i said, things are coming back to me little by little and hopefully I'll be able to help you better as time goes on.  Also, what is the purpose of the black threads?  When I built my ships I never did anything but started planking and kept going without threads or anything else.  Check my logs, they're all listed below and see how my planking was done; you won't see anything but planking strips...no tape or threads.  I hope I'm not sounding mean but I really want to help you so I'm just telling you how I feel.  Unless I'm  missing something, I believe you're adding unnecessary steps to the build.  I look forward to your further progress.

Best,

Jerry

19 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Hello Dave,

As I continue reading your trials and tribulations some of my building tricks have come back to mind.  I'm sorry that you are having trouble bending the planking. So, with respect to bending the planks, especially at the bow where the angles are more severe soaking them for a long time allowed me to bend them without breaking any.  What I did when I first began to build HMS Victory in 2013, I bought a 4 foot length of 4" PVC and two end caps.  One was glued to one end of the 4' piece and the other was just fitted to the other end but not glue.  I filled this with about 1 meter of water and put all my planking strips in it and removed them only as I need them.  It didn't hurt one bit that they were soaking for days and the result was never breaking a planking strip when bending it around severe curves.  I believe soaking them for ten minutes is not long enough and furthermore, the water doesn't have to be hot if you soak them long enough.  As i said, things are coming back to me little by little and hopefully I'll be able to help you better as time goes on.  Also, what is the purpose of the black threads?  When I built my ships I never did anything but started planking and kept going without threads or anything else.  Check my logs, they're all listed below and see how my planking was done; you won't see anything but planking strips...no tape or threads.  I hope I'm not sounding mean but I really want to help you so I'm just telling you how I feel.  Unless I'm  missing something, I believe you're adding unnecessary steps to the build.  I look forward to your further progress.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Jerry. The idea of the 4" pipe sound brilliant and just what I need. Please don,t take this the wrong way but the idea of the thread is to break it into sections. The idea behind is explained on MSW by Chuck Passario.Here is the link. I have tried using planks instead of thread but found thes just got in the way. I am assuming with this approach you can see whether of not you need to drop planks or gain planks ( sorry if this is the wrong terminology)

Here is the links. Chuck has also produced a few videos which shows his technique of bending planks edge ways which is where I am having a problem.

Hre is the link to the information which is on this website.

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/Lining Off your hull for planking.pdf

And here is the link to Chucks video, the first of three.

David,

Many thanks for the "thread" explanation.  I can see its use.  Regarding the edgewise problem...that's when you have to consider tapering the planks.

Have a nice supper,

Jerry

19 minutes ago, Jerry said:

David,

Many thanks for the "thread" explanation.  I can see its use.  Regarding the edgewise problem...that's when you have to consider tapering the planks.

Have a nice supper,

Jerry

Thanks once again  for your input Jerry which is always welcomed. Even with my planks tapered I am still have a few issues with them breaking. I have found by applying heat with the heat iron before physically bending the plank I do have some success. However after your suggestion it is clear that I am not allowing them to soak for long enough. Hopefully I can now proceed without too much trouble. Best regards Dave. 

Edited by DaveBaxt

David, 

One more thing: when you complete the planking and are ready to use a wood filler, please let me know as I have learned an excellent trick (which you may already know) and would like to pass it on to you.  So enjoy the meantime and get a good night's sleep.

Best,

Jerry

50 minutes ago, Jerry said:

David, 

One more thing: when you complete the planking and are ready to use a wood filler, please let me know as I have learned an excellent trick (which you may already know) and would like to pass it on to you.  So enjoy the meantime and get a good night's sleep.

Best,

Jerry

Thank you Jerry I look forward to hearing your idea . I am assuming you use the filler before any sanding takes place or do you remove some of the wood first. The last time I used the filler I removed about 90% of so wasn,t sure if I did it correctly. On my previous model there was only one layer of planking and although was far from perfect I think it wasn,t too bad, however the wood was very soft and much easier to work with. Take care best regards Dave

One last thing for today, Dave, here's a photo of our Bounty's hull.  I did something different.  I copper plated the hull below the waterline as I had a lot of plates left over from other builds and believe it or not they were the proper scale.  And I used colored planking to get the effect i wanted on part of the hull.  With respect to wood filling, the method used depends upon whether or not you intend to leave the hull natural or if you are going to paint it. More on that later.

Best,

Jerry

HMS Bounty.jpg

Wow Jerry ,that looks fantastic and she looks much lighter than the one on the box. I have already bought the paint for the hull, so thought about painting her. On the set of videos the ships videos she is also painted and also looks really good. There are still some areas of the hull which are not painted so some wood is shown. However I do like the look of your copper bottom so might consider this for my next model. I did have a few issues with painting my last ship as the paint did not take too well to any areas with filler underneath, even after using primer. Both primer and top coat were acrylic based and Just wondering where I may have gone wrong. I know I am a good way off that stage yet, but I have some sand & seal which I thought I would try on the second planking in the hope that the acrylic paint will take to that better than the sealer. What do you think?