A couple of week ago I happened to be again in Venice. My wife has a good friend there and we try to spend a few days in this wonderful city every two or three years. Whenever I am there, a pelerinage to various maritime spots is obligatory for me, while the ladies are chatting or shopping. This pilgrim's tour include the (work)shop of Gilberto Penzo (www.veniceboats.com), one of the experts on the Venice region boats. This was the opportunity to buy his latest book directly off himself again:

image.png.e4a1f853dd2f0e27f0e8a39dcd20b033.png

PENZO, G. (2020): Il Trabaccolo.- 230 p., Sottomarina (VE) (Il Leggio Libreria Editrice), Price 45€, ISBN 978-88-8320-179-0.

The trabaccolo was once one of the most important ship-types that transported goods up and down the Adriatic. Today only a few specimens have survived in a more or less well-preserved condition. Penzo's book is a comprehensive account of this type and its history, based on a systematic evaluation of the available sources.

It begins with a critical evaluation of pictorial representations from the early modern period to the drawings in Pâris’ Souvenirs de la Marine. Models of trabaccoli from different eras were also examined.

Penzo then deals in detail with the various design methods of the shipbuilders of the time and the instruments used for it. Some still existing trabaccoli, albeit in a modified form, or their remains made it possible to take off their lines and make other measurements using modern methods, such as 3D-laser scanning and generate virtual 3D-models with it.

The book contains a number of elaborated lines drawing in A4 format, which are perfectly suitable for building small-scale models. The author also offers large-scale drawings for sale (www.veniceboats.com).

A separate section is devoted to the shipbuilders and their building sites. Naturally, this then leads to a discussion of the materials, techniques and tools used in construction. The latter in particular are shown in great detail with photographs. This serves as an introduction to a detailed description of the construction itself, based on structural analyses of still existing trabaccoli and wrecks.

Further sections deal with the external appearance, especially the apotropaic elements, such as the ochi (bow eyes) and pelliccioni (the 'fur caps’ on the stem-post). Of course, there is also a large space dedicated to masting and, above all, the sails. The sail-plans have changed significantly over time and the cuts and making of the sails are discussed in detail.

Even if the construction sites were simply equipped, as everywhere during the times of wooden shipbuilding, a short section is devoted to them, as well as to the maintenance work that was also carried out there. This then leads on to the last section, that is the restoration of the last remaining specimens.

Thanks to the wealth of illustrations and drawings, this well-founded and comprehensive book is also accessible to those who have little or no command of Italian. Drawings with the names of the individual components in Italian are very helpful in this respect.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

An very impressive resource, and now right at the top of my 'must have' list.

Thank you for bring it to my attention!

For those with an interest in Adriatic sailing craft there's an impressive collection afloat on the Fosso Venarella canal, adjacent to the Museo della Marineria in Cesenatico, about 140 km down the coast from Venice, 23 km up from Rimini. I came across it when researching these types if vessel. I've only been able to explore it 'virtually' using Google Earth, but there's a wealth of detail to be seen. I recommended using the street view function and viewing from both sides of the canal. 'Photo sphere' pictures show views of the boats in different rigging stages, including full sail. Enjoy!

As a matter of fact, Penzo discusses several of the boats, not only trabaccoli, moored in the canal of Cesenatico.

Unfortunately, I have never been to that part of the italian adriatic coast (yet). I only made it to Chioggia, were they also have a couple of old boats in the harbour. 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg