Which Model-Expo kits are double planked?

Hey guys, 

I was just wondering which of the model expo kits come with double planked hulls?  I am currently building the Phantom and will buy a POB kit next but I would prefer if it was a double planked hull so I can cover up some of my mistakes that will surely be plentiful.  I have the Benjamin Latham on my shelf waiting to be built but I don't know if it is double planked or not, does anyone know?  

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

I do not think any of theirs are double planked. But, I learned from some in an earlier thread that it should not be too difficult to buy the wood strips in the right size from one of the recommended model wood suppliers and just add the second layer of planking.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

I thought they may all be single planked as well but I noticed some of the comments on the website say they received the kit and it is double planked.  I noticed that on a couple different models but don't recall specifically which ones.

-Max

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

I wonder if those are model shipways kits or imported kits that model expo sells. while model expo has a parts replacement policy for their own kits they do not extend that to imported kits they sell.

Richard

Richard

I wonder if those are model shipways kits or imported kits that model expo sells. while model expo has a parts replacement policy for their own kits they do not extend that to imported kits they sell.

Richard

Understood.  I am sure they were Model-Expo kits.  Those are the only ones I look at on their site.  

The general consensus seems to be that they are single planked, that is what I was trying to find out.  Thanks for the info!

-Max

The AVS is double planked. I suggest looking at their site, you can download a pdf of the instruction manual for each of their kits and it should have the info on planking.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

I'll be darned. I went back to their site and typed "plank on bulkhead" into the search and a number of ships came up. More than a few were Model Shipways.

Richard

Richard

Ken, thanks for the idea, I will try that when I get some time. 

Richard, were you under the impression that model shipways only did solid hull?  Here is a link to all of their plank on bulkhead kits, they even have some plank on frame ones in another section.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/search.asp?SKW=cat1_SW%20cat2_b0

-Max

No, I know they have plank on bulkhead and frame. I am currently working on the Syren which is plank on bulkhead. But, I did not know they had double planked kits.

Richard

Richard