Question on Boom Crotch on Gloucester fishing schooner (Smuggler)

Hi all,

while building Smuggler schooner kit from BlueJacket, I came across the question on "crotch". I understand these wooden pieces supports heavy booms when laid down without set sails.

My question: Were these removable? I.e. , when the ship sails, were they removed or where they sticking out of their saddles without purpose?

If they were removable, where would they be stored  - on the deck or somewhere below, not visible?

I plan to display the model with sails set, so would like to know how to represent this feature.

Thanks a lot for help in advance!

Juraj

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

Juraj

The main boom crotch usually stepped in a matching hole in the taffrail when the vessel was not underway but removed otherwise as it would of course interfere with movement of the boom when underway.  It was secured by setting up the sheet hard and with crotch tackles.   

As you plan to put on sails as if she were underway, the crotches would be removed and stowed.  I cannot find anything on whether they were stowed below deck or secured in someway on deck when not in use.   If you choose to have the crotches in place,  there is a detailed explanation of how to rig main, fore, and jumbo boom crotches in  Chappelle's  American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935 p431

Allan 

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU