Tips for Uploading pictures (iPhone Users)

Go to solution Solved by John Ruy,

• Solution

I have been on MSW for just over 2 years now and have been using my iPhone for access to the site and posting pictures to my build logs and the gallery without any issues.

Until lately, when my pictures started uploading rotated sideways by 90 degrees. In searching for a solution to this issue I have discovered my older photos were posting properly, it was my recent photos that were being rotated improperly. 

I found that if I resize those photos to a landscape aspect ratio, they will upload properly. Also, if I take the photo with the iPhone sideways (landscape) I can upload directly without having to edit the photo. 

Obviously 🙄 Apple 🍎 has changed their software AGAIN!!!!  

The above processes are a good work around for now. Who knows when Apple will change something again. 

Hope this tip is helpful to you all who might be transferring your photos to a PC or MAC. It’s much easier to keep it all on one device. 

example iPhone uploads

AA30313E-0273-4D5A-AE42-6D80728E5F13.thumb.jpeg.dae26dd3cfd63e00b22008af00514f17.jpeg

portrait…

8F7176BF-8AEF-45F8-874F-960E57757679.thumb.jpeg.5a7a292f5f078534d73839e7a6711c17.jpeg

Landscape

Cheers 🍻 

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

Hi John,

A technical explanation is that the photo stores orientation as EXIF metadata. The photo itself stays in the original orientation. MSW doesn't read the orientation metadata, so the photo must be rotated. On a PC, if you open the picture in Paint and just save it, Paint will rotate it and remove the orientation metadata.

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)