Enamel over acrylic in general is ok, as it follows the rule 'fat over lean' (making reference to oil- or other hydrophobic content), but the acrylics have to be thoroughly cured, as it may take weeks for any residual water to diffuse out. Another potential issue is that the solvent in the enamel paint may attack the acrylic paint. It is always wise to do some tests.

However, this begs the question, why you want to use enamel paints for weathering, while this can be done perfectly well with acrylic washes, even without buying any special 'weathering' sets, if you have a basic set of colours already. Personally, I prefer paints readily diluted for air-brushing that can be applied easily as washes with more or less water.

Another option are basic pastels, white, black, grey, and a reddish brown and/or burnt umbre.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

11 hours ago, wefalck said:

Enamel over acrylic in general is ok, as it follows the rule 'fat over lean' (making reference to oil- or other hydrophobic content), but the acrylics have to be thoroughly cured, as it may take weeks for any residual water to diffuse out. Another potential issue is that the solvent in the enamel paint may attack the acrylic paint. It is always wise to do some tests.

However, this begs the question, why you want to use enamel paints for weathering, while this can be done perfectly well with acrylic washes, even without buying any special 'weathering' sets, if you have a basic set of colours already. Personally, I prefer paints readily diluted for air-brushing that can be applied easily as washes with more or less water.

Another option are basic pastels, white, black, grey, and a reddish brown and/or burnt umbre.

So, for acrylics, just prepare the acrylic paint for air brushing (lacquer thinner, gloss), then apply and weather with the assistance of a little water?

• 1 month later...

I have used AK products, oil paints, acrylic washes and pastels for weathering all over top of acrylics. I use high quality acrylics meant for modelling - not the craft stuff, although I know many use them for ease of purchase and price point. The AK products are specific mixtures so one doesn't have to figure out what to use it for  - a bit of marketing and a bit ease of use for the beginner, I think. "Oil stain" is just that and 'Afrika Korps dust" is exactly what it says - easy, peasy. The nice think about AK washes and oil paints is that they flow well into nooks and crannies, giving you that layered effect. Acrylics need a "wetting agent" (ie drop of dish soap), to break the surface tension of the water so that it will flow and not dry leaving a "ring" at the outer edge. I have never had my acrylics react badly to any of these products. If you want to stick with acrylics, however, Games Workshop, aka Citadel paints, makes a load of washes, base colours, metallics, etc for their miniatures. They all have fantasy-type names but they work really well. The washes are great.

Best of luck!

Dave

LCdr Dave

Current Build: Mayflower - Billing Boats