Mast bands

Brian56

Does anyone have any pointers on how to fabricate mast bands?  I need 24 of them to fit mast diameters of 12mm (12 per mast) On the original boat these were timber hoops with a metal eye to attach the luff of the sail to. I'd like to make them in timber also but how to form the hoops?

Hi Brian56, there are several ways.  The one I like is: make some shavings from clear white pine and soak them in ammonia for about an hour (you can dilute the ammonia 50% or use it full strength).  Wrap them around a waxed dowel that matches the inside diameter of the hoop.  Secure with rubber bands until dry.  Remove and glue, then replace them on the dowel again until dry.  Then slice off each hoop as needed.  Eyes can be applied.  Good luck.  Duff

I make mine the same way but use water and white glue instead. 

post-227-0-41622800-1376223078_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgbot

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

These are mast hoops, sometimes referred to as sail hoops. Mast bands are metal bands that fit around the mast tightly and have eyes or lugs for attaching blocks etc. Using the term hoops should improve your search returns.

Russ