Which entry level kit to build?

goforit

I am new to ship building but have extensive experience with wood R/C airplanes.

I have been building planes since the mid 60's and finally quit flying a couple years ago. In the last 20 years I scratched built most of what I was flying. Now, I have never built a ship and just don't know enough about kit makers and what is a good kit to start. I am going to assume that I need to start in the Entry level ones but just don't know. I don't want to start on one that is too complicated until I get my feet wet.

Since I retired 3 years ago, my billfold has shrunk, so I can't put out a lot of money on one.

I do have a good setup for model woodworking, so that is not a problem here.

I know everyone has their own ideas on which one but like I said, I don't know enough about the mfgs. that are out there.

I've been looking at the community build of the Longboat ( I think that is what it is called) but not sure if that would be something I could build with the experience I lack in ships.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

current build:

Boston Whitehall Tender

John Alden Sloop

waiting to be built:

Maine Peapod

Future build

Something larger

Welcome to MSW Richard. :) You're among friends here so your lack of experience is nothing to worry about. A lot of people will give their time and advise.

It's always dicey to suggest kits.... but I'll throw one out there for grins. Midwest is an entry level company that has pretty good instructions, are definitely not too detailed and are reasonable. For example, a canoe with planked hull, about 16" long runs about $35. It or many other kits, including a few longboats that they sell might help get your feet wet.

One site that sells a bunch of different makers is http://www.historicships.com/

Feast your eyes on all those and then come back with questions.

Hope this helps.

Richard,

I would start off saying that the Longboat is NOT a good kit to start with.  It looks easy, but is actually complex.  (Planking issues).

Randy is correct that Midwest makes good starter kits.  They are relatively simple and give a good opportunity to learn about planking and how the lines of the ship/boat come together.  If you want soemthing a little more complex, I recommend Model Shipways SULTANA.  It give you a nice model, a sailing ship versus a small boat and provides alot of 'learning opportunities'.  Much depends on your skill level and own wants.

There are many good starter kits.  It should meet the following checks in the box:

1.  Expendable.  50/50 chance you will end up crapping it up beyond all hope of recovery and will have to trash it.  A good model on sale helps there.  Wood is a great medium.  It allows you to make mistakes and recover by tearing apart and redoing.   ...on the other hand, sometimes you cannot undo the banana shape your modl has become.

2.  Simple plank on frame or solid.  Both have their pros and cons.  Each gives an opportunity to have a relatively stable form which you can get a handle on how a hull curves, etc.  Both give you an opportunity to plank (solid hulls can be planked).

3.  Not too much frill and pieces-parts.  After you have learned how to build a model you can play around with 100 guns and 100 gunports and 200 pieces of deck furniture.  No need on the starter.  How to build a windlass, a grating and a few other items is enough.

4.  Simple/basic rigging.  The CONSTITUTION and SULTANA use the same rigging principles.  Learning about blocks and belaying lines and stuff follows the same principle as above.  A little is great at first.  Once you get that first model under your belt (and you are hooked on the hobby for all eternity) you can take on the big beasties that take time.  People who take on big projects too early have a tendancy to quite them and the hobby over frustration.

Tools:  Dremel, exacto knife, clamps-lotsa clamps, basic wood glue, sand paper....nothing exotic.  (but exotic helps :-) as time goes by).

Chuck

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Randy and Chuck

I think the Midwest will be the way to go for now. I have plenty of time to work on one. It's just me and my cat here all day long.

As far as tools Chuck, I have a good workroom setup with scroll saw, dremel sanders, and lots of clamps ( reworked cloths pins). I have a magnetic board set up that I can use for getting things straight and plumb.

I'll order something today to get my feet wet.

Thanks both for the advice.

Richard

current build:

Boston Whitehall Tender

John Alden Sloop

waiting to be built:

Maine Peapod

Future build

Something larger

Good luck Richard!

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

The MS Armed Virginia Sloop gets my vote. Its been an excellent learning kit so far and contains all elements of ship modeling to practise your skills on.

There is also a wealth of experience and information available

Ken

Edit:

Strange, I didn't see all replies and final decision posts earlier?!?

Enjoy the build! remember its a hobby and we're all learning new things every day!

Edited by BareHook

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Good luck Richard! I'm sure you'll have fun and as others have said there is lots of help available here. We all started somewhere.

Enjoy you build when your kit arrives and be sure to start a build log.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Thanks ALL

I'll be sure to start a build log from opening the box. Photography is my life long hobby also, so I shouldn't have any problem with that.

I've been reading the planking post and trying to understand what I am reading. I think after I get through the first one, I'll be OK and sure to learn a whole lot from the build.

MSW seems to be a good helpful and friendly group. It's a whole lot better than some of the websites I belong to.

Richard

current build:

Boston Whitehall Tender

John Alden Sloop

waiting to be built:

Maine Peapod

Future build

Something larger

I was going to question the MS Armed Virginia Sloop as a first model, however I recall a couple folks I know made that as their first model and it turned out rather well.  I think in both cases they used Bob Hunt's practicum to help the build.  It is a dandy model (and can be easily based to become Blackbeard's ADVENTURE....arrggghhh matey!!)

Chuck

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild