Newport Medieval ship

That's good news, and it looks like their current reconstruction is much more like the examples from contemporary pictures than their first version. But there's really not very much of her left. Here's a reconstruction model of the existing remains.

image.png.da9a09a3924e55b41c1a9ebc1a01efe0.png

Here it is compared with the proposed reconstruction:

image.png.eb02d36d7e2dde481ec11f0124a173db.png 

image.png.7114b9c628c0593aa9ab0659371d8887.png

image.png.118940878b4533dea971722391de8dd1.png

I'm assuming that what they'll display is the existing timbers, with some sort of framework showing the shape of the rest of the hull, as in the models above. And they're even talking about the possibility of building a full-sized reconstruction and sailing it on the Usk river. It would be nice if that could be done, but at the moment I'm not holding my breath . . .

I see they're still going with the flat stern, which I'm not so sure about, though I'm aware they justify this by the shape of the aftermost frame. The ship is believed to have been built in 1449, and carracks of this period are always shown as round-sterned in contemporary pictures. The earliest representation of a flat-sterned carrack-style ship I'm aware of dates to 1511.

Having said that, ignoring the stern for the moment, the proposed shape does look good.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly