Garage season is over, and 100+ plus degrees here in Arizona, so back to inside activities!

Since last update I have added the top rail and the monkey board.  I used Sculpey to to make the curved section where the monkey board meets the top rail.  I've used this material before and it's a great solution to hard to form parts, or where tiny details are needed.  I used it a lot on the Sultana.

20240528_142553.jpg

20240528_090833.jpg

On this build, I have discovered just how much bend you can put into wood, with proper prep and some patience.

I honestly figured "I'll give it a shot" and dang it worked great.  I added the boom buffer early, because I wanted to be sure it fit under the plate, and I painted most of it in advance. While some seams might show, I think adding these strips later, was easier than over sizing the top plate/monkey board, and getting the profile uniform and even.

stern 1.jpg

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to foresee what rings or other rigging features are needed on the deck or rails before adding the furniture.  I just know once a place a piece of furniture I'll need to drill a hole somewhere nearby, and it'll be blocked.  So to that end I started the gammon strap, This is a good time to do it as well because I haven't finished the bow where it meets the bowsprit so fitting the gammon, especially before painting the bowsprit will save rework or damage.

Once I got the first one where I liked it, I made a mirror version, wiring them together to even them up with a file and ensure the holes were drilled properly.

20240601_160826.jpg

20240601_161852.jpg

Edited by Caferacer

Would the scuppers be the deck color or the hull color? I glued the seine roller mounts in place, you can make out one pin in the mount now, the other mount has a through hole. Once the deck and rails are painted fully I can fit the roller (painted black) into the mounts.  Still contemplating the deck finish, I won't finish it until the furniture is in place, as I want to be sure I have good adherence (maybe over abundance of caution).  I'm thinking of something simple like thinned down poly, or danish oil, something that will seep into the joints and darken them, but leave the top fairly blonde.

20240601_174232.jpg

• 2 weeks later...