Benjamin W Latham by Caferacer - Model Shipways

First log and post here at MSW.  For ages every time we moved, a ship's hull appeared, it was the Sovereign Of The Seas that my father started long before I was born (in 64) and he was "going to get to". After he retired he "got to it" and it was amazing. He continued with the Constitution, but was frustrated by all the cannons, so he started the Benjamin Latham. He passed away before finishing it, and helping my mom clean up his projects I guess I caught the "bug" and started building. I was several kits in when my mother passed. I was in the process of finding a museum or collection for the Sovereign, and planned to finish the Latham when a relative decided to take the models.  I have no idea where they are now.  I've continued to kit bash, and in 2022 decide I was ready to do the Latham justice. I have learned a lot most importantly learning that these models can and really should, take years.  I want to thank the many skilled members here, as without a practicum on this model, their excellent and skilled builds have been a reference for details. mattsayer148, GaryKap, trenchguy, and jwvolz.

I didn't take too many photos of the start, I live in Arizona so generally work on the model in the summer, in the winter there are lots of garage and outside projects to work on. For example last year I rebuilt the "craft room" my wife's office and where I work on my models and sometimes watches.  This was my first time building cabinets, and I was pretty pleased with the results, my wife and I now have large stable surfaces and drawers.

20220423_170154.jpg

20220430_120811.jpg

20220430_155353.jpg

OK the ship..  Actually the Dory... What I generally do is while parts are setting up, while researching or just taking a break form the hull, I have been working on furniture and the other boats.  The Dory was frustrating as it was the first fully scratch built hull I have made, after a bunch of false starts I created a spine that held the keel and "false" bulkheads. I was then able to get the planks to curve well.  I'm not convinced about the interior finish, I have added several coats of danish oil, but as it's displayed upright on the deck I might sand it down and refinish.

20230925_180752.jpg

20230926_070551.jpg

20230926_120307.jpg

I made a great discovery! Durhams putty, my son had this can, he made game miniatures. This worked great to finish the anchors to the drawing's design, and blend in the attachment of the ring. I'm really please with how well it adheres and how fine it can be sanded

20231002_084205.jpg

20231002_084035.jpg

Edited by Caferacer

Like a crazy person, I did fully plank the cabin. I also constructed the sky light in a way that I used painted copper wire for the bars. On all the furniture, I'm leaving off the bottom trim, until they are on the deck, this way I can match the contour of the deck when they are in place.  All the furniture is built measuring from the deck surface.  This way I can make full length deck planks and not "work around" hatchways or cabins, if needed I could carve away the deck planks, but I want them to be full runs so they curve and fitment is tight.  The ports on the cabin are leather rivets.  They are the right size and I will add a flat finish to them. A bit of a short cut, but one that I think worked well.

20231007_082056.jpg

20231005_055730.jpg

20231007_150646.jpg

And we're almost caught up to where I'm at. (planking the hull) I remade the windlass brake bar, it wasn't the right size and didn't fit into the pivot casting right, I also made new links.  In general the castings are OK in this kit, other kits I have tossed most of them as the scale it wrong, or they just don't look right.  The MS Sultana for example, I build up the windlass from scratch as it was all wrong.  The Latham windlass is very good in this kit, as were most of the brake parts.

20231016_174816.jpg

20231017_053138-3.jpg

20231019_173713-2.jpg

I did not like the dowels that came with the kit, and hardwood like these were bound to frustrate me, so all the masts and spars are laminated basswood, then carved down to the right size and shape.  While they are not perfect, I think they will stain nicer, and the grain being finer will look better at scale.

At the same time I'm making the bands, these are from brass strips, curled and soldered.  I put a coat of matte spray paint, then a coat of flat with a brush.  The kit supplied cast parts as well, also I made up the spreader struts off the drawings from copper wire.

20231101_063653-2.jpg

20231101_103717-2.jpg

20231101_103717-3.jpg

Meanwhile the hull is done and primed.  Once I have a lot of the mast details made up, the spreader and mounts, I'll get back to the hull.  The planking isn't perfect, I need to work on tapering the bulkheads.  Even after making lots of measurements, I still had some planks "miss" the bulkhead.  Also the way the planks meet the transom, yikes. I'm not going or obsess about the gaps in the planks, as long as they are stable, I've worked glue into the gaps to be sure no planks "pop", if the planks show, well, it's a planked boat, they will show.

20231101_043751-2.jpg

The seine boat, dory, and deck furnishings look good, I'm looking forward to seeing the hull of the Benjamin Latham itself!

Edit: you posted the hull while I was writing the above. It's coming along well!

Edited by JacquesCousteau

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jacques, I'm starting back to work on the hull.  I think I'm going to plank the deck, before finishing the monkey board or top rail.  I think having the deck "clear" will allow me to plank using full pieces.

Meanwhile, I've been doing a few other details.  The boom rest, and the foresail boom, rail thingie.  Also the pintles.. almost out of brass strips.

20231103_104349-2.jpg

20231103_104400-2.jpg

20231103_123315-2.jpg

20231105_143220-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Decking time!  It went easier and quicker than I expected, however the strips provided by MSW are not the same.  I think it will all sand down fine, but I bought extra 1/16x1/16, so I should have been more selective.  In order to bend the planksheer I built up the transom with balsa.  Worked great, in addition to soaking the plank for a while, I "pre-curved" it with my hand.  I know they sell pliers for this, but just gently bending it to "loosen" the fibers of the plank, it took the tight curve of the stern well.

20231126_140016.jpg

20231126_140019.jpg

20231130_054850-44.jpg

20231202_123414.jpg

Edited by Caferacer

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I wold share some previous accessories; I tried a few ways to make barrels, the one that worked best was turning some soft wood in the lathe.  I then created an "index" mark on the lathe chuck, then draw a tool across the round to create even grooves representing the staves of the barrel.

I then marked and tapered the the individual barrels while in the lathe, and drilled the hole through the round.  Finally at the workbench I carved the details to the staves, and wrapped the "sapling" around the barrels before cutting off each barrel. I didn't drill all the way though so some barrels could be "closed". Using a small chisel I cut back the the face of the "closed" barrels to create the recessed lids.  All this was made easier by having a decent piece of wood to hold on to while working. Hope all this makes sense. I made a lot, and using different finishes, so I can pick and choose.

20240101_080954.jpg

20240101_081435.jpg

20240101_080744.jpg

At this point I've got the deck and bulwarks painted, but not quite ready to start the top rail. I want to consider the right way to approach it, bent 1/4, or 1/2 inch that I trim and shape. I think the latter, but I want to think a bit. Scuppers are cut and cleaned up after this photo, prow is mostly shaped, and cut for the bowsprit.  The hull above the water line is just primed.  When cutting the scuppers I realized I somehow miscounted the timberheads!  There should have been 2 between each frame section, and I only added 1.   My next step will be creating the chainplates, that's going to require some work, based on the "lessons learned" from creating the pintles, I want to create a fixture to ensure the chainplates are drilled evenly, the drill walked a bit while making the pintles and given the prominence of the chain plates I want them as uniform and identical as possible.

20231231_105719.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Working on chainplates, I wanted to use thinner brass, but couldn't find any.  So I thinned out the ends with a file, and got a good tight loop.

I also machined a fixture to drill the mounting holes. As I mentioned when I was drilling the holes for the rudder pintles the drill walked so they are not as even as I wanted. This fixture should make the hole spacing and they should be well centered., then I will trim them to size.  Hard to tell teh scale, but those are M4 screws and 0.028" (#69 drill) holes

20240113_160655 sml.jpg

fixture 2 sml.jpg

fixture 1 sml.jpg

Great work so far, especially all the metal work. I like what you did with the siene boat and the dory as well.

Mine is long finished but I never did complete my log, including finished pictures. maybe you've inspired me to do so...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Thanks Joe!  Your log really helped, there is no way the deck would have come out so well without the tip of adding the sub-deck, and removing the timbers from the frames.  Now only if I had remembered there were two false timbers between each frame section.. Your rigging on the Latham is amazing, and the build has been inspiring..

The final chainplate "bolts" are a little out of scale, of course now that the are painted I see this, but I have plenty of material I can remove to improve it.  I mean there's no hurry, time enough to get it right.

20240121_121445.jpg

On 1/29/2024 at 5:45 PM, allanyed said:

I love the old schooners as well as your build.   Lovely work!

Allan

Same here, they just seem so elegant, I'd love to dig into all the complex rigging of a British Man of War, but then there are all those tiny gun doors! lol Thanks for the comment

Yep, gun ports and lids take some work as each is made of about 6 pieces of wood, 3 port lining pieces, hinges, nails, rings, rigging line, metal leads through the hull, all told, about 25 individual pieces to each.   Plus there were ventilation ports with small lids on some of the gun port lids on the lower decks on later ships-of-the-line.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU