Flying Fish - YouTube video of model photos and brief history

Hi all,

I came across this video on YouTube quite by accident.  Given the title of the channel, I probably would not be given it a second look except that I spied a familiar name, Flying Fish.  This is a relatively short video that has some very nice model photos.  I think some of them may be from MSW.  Thought some of the "Fish" modelers on MSW might enjoy this.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

• 3 months later...

thanks... i loved it! gotta say everyone on this site are very talanted and dedicated. im in awe of the quality and care of detail put into the ships. 

i have been scratch building my 1:96 flying fish clipper for over 30 years i regret not getting the 1/4" plans though... cant squeeze in enough detail at 1/8". im not as dedicated as most are in here so my ship sits on a shelf between build sperts. i just have too many hobbies.

lately i have a craving to finally finish her. she just needs rigging at this point. i spent a few good years getting it ready to where all that's needed are for me to thread her up... and after spending the past couple months doing it, i see a long year ahead with lots of work. this will be my 6th completed ship in 50 years. my next will be a whaler... had the plans since 1982. 

ships facinate me!

thanks again... 

In the YOUTUBE video "THE FLYING FISH model clipper PLANS & PHOTOS by Funniest Super Heroes" the photos starting at 7:05 and ending at 15:44 are mine.  I was not asked or gave permission that photos of my model of the Flying Fish 3/16 scale were used.

Mike R

Of all of the American Clippers being built or contemplated on MSW, Flying Fish appears to be in First Place.  Maybe the reason is the availability of the Model Shipways Kit.  Readers might, therefore, be interested that in the late 1970’s Model Shipways commissioned a new set of drawings to accompany the kit.  The drawings were prepared by a then well known member of the Nautical Research Guild.  It might have been Ben Langford but I don’t remember.  Anyhow, at that time, he wrote a very interesting article in the Journal about the research that went into the new plans and the assumptions made.  This article should be available as an inexpensive back issue from the guild office.

Roger