Jump to content

MikeR

Members
  • Content Count

    26
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

628 profile views
  1. If you are still looking for a supplier for micro nut, screws, taps, and drills check out Tabco Optical. ( tabcooptical.com ) I purchased 100 M1.4/1.4mm nuts for $5.95 I made eye bolts out of 3/64 rod and used these nuts. I retapped these nuts with a 1.7mm tap for use with 1/16 rod. I enjoy following your build and the purple heart looks great.
  2. Griphos I have been using these clamps and I have had no problems with them flexing. I tighten them as much as I can turn the knurled nut by hand and they hold the deck planks to the beams with no flex. Mike
  3. Last week I made a dozen of these small clamps out of 1/4" brass. I drilled and tapped the brass for a 6-32 X1 1/4 machine screw. I then cut small wooden blocks and drilled them to loosely fit the screw head and glued fine sandpaper to the other side.
  4. Hi Steve I tried to use .005 twisted copper wire for the shrouds on my DN iceboat but they keep breaking. I ended up using .005 stainless wire twisted together and they were much stronger. I had no problems after using them. Mike R
  5. Hello Ed I have been following your builds since the Victory and they are some of the best I have seen on this site. If this question has been answered before I do not remember. What do you use to clean the copper fittings after they have been installed on the ship, before you use liver of sulfur to blacken them? Mike R
  6. Jack They were pre-printed and bought at Michaels an Arts and Craft Store. Now I have to come up with a base to mount it on. Mike
  7. I added the decals to the sail and I ran into a problem , I broke the mast cables. I was using fine copper wire (.005) twisted together and it was breaking at the connection points were it was bent. Now the cables are made of .005 stainless piano wire twisted together and they are much stronger.
  8. I just found this picture from 1972 of my better half and me.
  9. Jack, I should of taken some pictures, but once I started making the sail I forgot. I used vellum drafting paper. I tried to find vellum paper that shows the linen weave but I could not find any. I drew out the sail on graft paper, I then folded the vellum in half so the seam will be the mast side. I use a glue stick to glue a .020 brass wire on the seam and also to attach the battens. I also reinforced the corners with piece of clear plastic. I then used a spray paper adhesive to glue the 2 sides together. For the bottom of the sail I folded a strip of paper and glued a .020 wire on it t
  10. Thank you all for the comments and it was Jacks ice yacht that gave me the idea to build this. I am using a gun stock refinishing oil for the iceboat. This is after three coats. The sail that will be used. The Bluenose in the back ground that I am working on the rigging while the oil dries.
  11. Jack, I am thinking on installing a sail. John, This was the second time I'm making the metal works. The first was full size and now a much reduced size. Mike
  12. Thanks Jack, it was one of my first attempts at silver soldering. Here ar
×
×
  • Create New...