RAVS-2001 Butane Gas Burning Dual Flame Mode Soldering Torch

Well, my new torch arrived and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It was securely packaged and arrived just 4 days after I placed the order. In addition to the torch itself, there were some very well illustrated how-to instructions and a plastic bag with three plastic accessory fittings to aid in the filling and/or emptying of the butane gas.

100_7573.thumb.JPG.6c45a4d0859e1510c82e9bd4029af028.JPG

100_7612.thumb.JPG.d90e36e0a515e8508a07744e0b86ac87.JPG

100_7611.thumb.JPG.5f5a236e778ec95d1a0e7637f6b73c2b.JPG

100_7610.thumb.JPG.ee3fa6fe0cd9713cbac85cf78192e2c6.JPG

The instructions are written with the inexperienced user (like me) in mind, pointing out all of the features of the torch and how to use them. Having only used a soldering iron previously, I appreciated that even things that more experienced users wouldn’t even think twice about, were things that were explained here.

This seems to be a very solidly built and rather stylish looking tool. It has a very stable chromed copper base, so concerns about tipping over are minimal. The metal gas tank has a built-in leak-proof inflation valve under the base that’s covered with a black diamond cut surface which makes it very easy for me to grip and stays cool to the touch.

100_7574.thumb.JPG.ccd6e5ff92815ee1278b628d3ac99edc.JPG

The business end has a long-angled and heat-resistant ceramic nozzle that helps to keep your hands safely away from the flame. It doesn’t come with butane gas (due to shipping restrictions), but it comes with those plastic fittings to allow filling from most commercially available butane gas bottles. Refilling the torch fully (8-11g) only took me about 10 seconds or so.

The chrome plated copper piezo press ignition button made it easy for me to ignite a continuous flame and allowed me to use it one-handed. A flame mode regulator control, located just behind the nozzle, allows switching between 2 flame modes of either a tiny blue or a large yellow flame to control the heat. The manufacturer says that it can reach a maximum temperature up to 2,372oF (2372oC), but I’ll have to take their word for that as I have no way to measure that.

There is also a fuel flow regulator dial on the side of the torch that allowed me to make additional flame adjustments. An additional safety feature is a cover that snaps over the fuel flow regulator dial which prevents the ignition button from being inadvertently depressed. It also came with a 2-year warranty.

At this point I have experimented with it a little bit annealing some brass and soldering a few things and it does seem to be as good as advertised.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.