Sailing Fishing Trawler by juansystem05 - 1:38

There are some boats like this available from manufacturers like billing boats or AL, however not in the size that I like, something a little bit larger. This is intended to be around 80cm long. Image is just for reference, this will be a fictional boat but based on boats from that era. I have found some plans of similar boats of that era and will use them as reference. This boat could also be scaled for RC conversion, perhaps adding more bulkheads and a motor.

The intention of this thread is not only to create a bigger model of very known type of vessel but to show my designing skills. It has always been my dream to design model sailboats, both static and RC, ever since I was a little child this was my motivation to learn about technical drawings and later in life about CAD, CAM, CAE. Nowadays I find myself being an engineer and professional 3D mechanical designer though I am more in the automation and electrical business.

However my love for model ships is stronger than ever and I want to put my skills to the test in this specific field. Over the years I have design all kind of devices, machines, robots and decorations for laser cutting but only a few RC boats, some from 0, some others based on plans and some just to correct errors in plans using 3D modeling as a tool.

My building skills are not the best but I have built kits from various manufacturers, including AL, amati and occre. I have found occre kits particularly well engineered, some kits from amati were decent, some others left a lot to be desired like parts not fitting properly and having to modify the pieces. AL all kind of good and bad experiences being that they were the first kit I had and I have a lot of them, some very old some recent so I think it is normal to find inconsistency.

I do not intend to to open a company to manufacture model kits as I already have a business that takes most of my time but hopefully some of the already existing manufactures could be interested in my work, my biggest asset is my love for sailing ships, from galleons to modern sailing yachts. If not, I just simply love to do this. 

I know all the process involved in creating parts for laser cutting, tolerances, material thickness, kerf, etc.. and this is especially critical with non flat parts. I will start the process by creating a 3D model.

Thanks for looking

vigilance-sepia.jpg