Revell H-364:995 (1959)

Hi fellow model builders,

I´m wondering if it would be worth to buy this set from Revell. Someone offers me the Revell kit H-364:995 from 1959. The price is quiet the one of the 2017 model Revell 0542. As far as the seller knows is the kit complete, all bags sealed (one bag has been resealed) and the box is still okiesh, some dents (which I expect for a 65 yrs old kit) but in general the entire box and kit looks good.

s-l1600.thumb.webp.8e454883033f62d6f989774be2948078.webp

s-l1600.thumb.webp.42e7ad9d329c011fb0532e1b693e1500.webp

I mean, the kit is 9 yrs older than me, so I have no clue about this kit. Is it worth it or should I get hold of the 2017 kit (someone else offered me for quiet a good price - cheaper than the 1959 kit).

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

According to Scalemates, the 1969 model added new parts.  That is enough for me to consider the 2017 model. 

That will be my first new ship model.  All up till now have been pre-owned.  A couple pieces have been lost or broken.  Not enough for regrets on buying used.

1 hour ago, Frank Burroughs said:

According to Scalemates, the 1969 model added new parts.  That is enough for me to consider the 2017 model. 

What do you mean by that? If they added new parts it means it has more than the 2017 therefore I would always prefer the old one. Also the moulds are still in use. Meaning the 2017 model is still made in the original moulds which should be worn out somehow.

I´m torn between to buy or get a 2017 model but I heard that some folks are pretty unhappy with the 2017 model kit. Especially quality wise and about the parts itself, not clean and lots of not well conected parts.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

I just found out that the kit that is offered to me is NOT complete. The cement (which will be long outdated) and the paints are missing. Also the wooden stand is missing. I asked the seller for a discount, never got an answer back... therefore it won´t be the 1959 kit.

I also realised that the 1969 and even better the 1974 model has added parts like metal chains and proper ropework.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

2 hours ago, Scottish Guy said:

If they added new parts it means it has more than the 2017 therefore I would always prefer the old one.

Being new I could be wrong.  I thought that the 1969 model has pieces not in the earlier model.  These pieces would also be in the 2017 box.

The mold being used time and time again is a problem.

So, I wonder what is the best 1/96 plastic kit of the Cutty Sark to buy!

26 minutes ago, Frank Burroughs said:

So, I wonder what is the best 1/96 plastic kit of the Cutty Sark to buy!

That is exactly my issue right now. By the same mould used I would say the earlier the better, but what about parts included. I know that the 1959 kit came with glue and paints but as it looks without any metal parts and only the ratlines, no other ropes.

The 1969 kit should have gotten the metal parts but not the lines and got rid of the glue and paints.

I don´t know what to do, at the end of the day, I would love the 1959 kit, I would have changed some aprts anyway with more detailed parts, like the deck and chains. But the price of that model is way too high for all the missing items and condition of the box.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

I built this kit in the late 70's.  It makes a good looking model.  Your answer depends on what your plans are for this build.  Do you intend to build it straight from the box, or are you going for a bit more accuracy?

If I were to build this again I would not be using any of the rigging thread or the sails, and replacing many of the plastic spars.  The sails on these old kits will probably be yellowed and brittle and the rigging thread is not very good.  Most of the rigging on these clippers was wire rope anyway.

Likewise, the molded shrouds and ratlines will need to be thrown out.  Forget about the paints, they would probably be solid bricks by now.  The decals will also be off colored and brittle.

Bottom line, if the hull moldings and other major parts are in good shape and not warped, I would not worry too much about the above items. You were going to end up replacing them anyway.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

6 minutes ago, popeye2sea said:

Bottom line, if the hull moldings and other major parts are in good shape and not warped, I would not worry too much about the above items. You were going to end up replacing them anyway.

I know what you say, I got my thoughts about it as well. I don´t really cry for the glue or paints and the 1959 kit comes without sails anyway. It also is missing any metal parts which came just wtht he 1969 kit. It´s more likely the price. The kit is not complete but the guy wants GBP 89.00 for it. That is the point why I´m so relcutant. If the kit would be complete (even if useless) I would pay it but not for a kit that is not even complete.

After all the thinking I tend anyway to buy a wooden model (most likely the Sergal kit, even if I´m eyeing with the Billing Boats kit as well). I would do a lot of my own stuff anyway. Maybe, when I can get hold of some proper plans even do scratch build. I also still have an offer from a charity for a Revell 2017 kit (complete but the box is damaged and taped) for GBP 60.00. SO yes, not sure what to do but atm I´m more drawn to a wooden kit than a plastic kit.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

I would go for the older version as the plastic is likely of a higher quality, and hasnt been "nerfed" by Revell. Also the older shrouds made of black line are far superior to the molded plastic ones in todays kit. (In my humble opinion). Also Im sure that the rigging instructions are FAR more comprehensive than the ones in the '17 kit. These are barely useable. I am working on the 2017 Revell CS and I am using a lot of aftermarket parts , and so far she's lookinj pretty good. Good luck whatever you decide :)