Jet 1020 drum sander

I would like to get a drum sander for general woodworking purposes, but would also like to be able to use it for modeling.  The Jet 1020 desktop drum sander looks like it would be a good fit.  I was wondering if anyone has used this sander and what their experience is as far as milling thin wood sheets for ship modeling.  According to the specs, it is able to sand down to 1/32” thickness, probably with a backer board.  

Sorry I can’t help with that exact sander. I have a larger shop version of Jet sander. It’s an excellent tool. I’ve found it to be well engineered and when I had a technical issue they solved it right away on the phone. I’ve used it to sand pieces probably 1/16” occasionally. 

I also have a larger version - the 16/32 - and it has done a great job for me.  I’ve found when I get down to about 1/8” it’s easier to run pieces through on top of a reference board as opposed to laying directly on the conveyor belt.  As you get thinner the drum belt tends to sand against the conveyor belt at the ends because it’s hard to get the paper fully into / against the drum.  That only happens at the ends in my experience.  

If you do get one, also get the small tool they have for opening the end spring.  It makes inserting paper a little easier.