HMS Victory by Glenn-UK - Caldercraft - 1/72

Hello Glenn.

Good to see the further progress.  Your work is neat and well done.  Victory is coming more alive and you are fast approaching the rigging.  I only wish you the best,

Jerry

Made good progress, all the brass profiles have now been fitted and holes drilled for the cannons. I just have the fit the dead eyes and chain plates to forward channel before I move on to fitting the rigols and gun port lids (which still need to have the hinges and eyelet fitted).

Final task will be to paint and glue the cannons in position.

post-7550-0-58640200-1427458823_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-03291500-1427458843_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-24326000-1427458867_thumb.jpg

The light at the end of the tunnel has finally been turned on with this phase of the build

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.

You'll soon find it harder to move the Victory from place to place as it will become more fragile and cumbersome.  I found it hard to move and kept breaking off the pointy thing in the bow.  Anyway, you seem to be douing well and I'll bet having a good time.  It all looks good from here.  Nice to see the pictures and your work.

Best,

Jerry

Assembled 34 gun port lids tonight, just got to drill the lids and fit 136 eyelets, 4 per gun port lid which will be 2 or 3 nights work, then 2 or 3 nights work to fit and rig the gun port lids to the port side of the hull.

post-7550-0-03090000-1427828145_thumb.jpg

I have chemically blackened the eyelets which I find much better than painting for these small pieces.

post-7550-0-04478200-1427828168_thumb.jpg

All being well I aim to have all this work completed sometime by weekend after next and will move on to the rudder assembly.

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn,

Good going!  I like the idea of chemically darkening the metal.  If you get a chence, please let em know what you use to do that.  Painting sucks as the paint always rubs off when string an eyelet.  Nice work as usual.

Best,

Jerry

Hi Jerry

I used brass blackener C83999 from CMB.

I found the process takes longed than the instructions indicated, I normally leave them in the solution for 2 or 3 days for the best results.

I do clean before insertion using white vinegar and soaping water.

Glenn (UK)

Much obliged amigo...I'll get some as I'll probably need it for the Admiral's build.  (I'll still believe it when I see it.  LOL  )

Jerry

Hello David

I have not bought a lathe so far still thinking about it. I'm considering the "Proxxon Micromot DB250". I can also get a 3 jaw chuck to go with it.

I could simply use my variable speed drill and make a lathe jig to go with it.

Knowing me I will probably end up buying the lathe in the next few weeks.

Glenn (UK)

Had a good session yesterday in the shipyard, and a couple of hours today and I have now finally completed the gun port lids on the port side. I will paint and fit the dummy cannon barrels in slow time, as I plan to move on to the rudder assembly.

View of Port Side

post-7550-0-98494500-1428157363_thumb.jpg

View of Starboard Side

post-7550-0-74329500-1428157403_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Greetings Glenn

Well she's getting there now, and looking very good. So it's the rudder next, and what can we all see in the background !!!! A big wagon has came out out of the forest in the background, and it's loaded with tree trunks!!!!!! ! Whey Hey !!!!!! Lathe on the way??? DAVID

Started work on the rudder, finally completed the copper plating. I enjoyed copper plating the hull, I didn't enjoy copper plating the rudder - strange.

Pictures of the rudder dry fitted.

Here are a couple of pictures.

post-7550-0-72286500-1428655634_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-94721700-1428655642_thumb.jpg

I have painted the rudder hinges and straps black in readiness for the final installation to the hull.

Glenn (UK)

Well done, Glenn.  

When the rudder hinges and straps (pintles and gudgeon) are placed you'll have a swinging rudder which will be tempting to grab whenever you decide to rotate your ship.  So, be careful not to dislodge the rudder in the future. I used nails painted black in the hinges which were more or less decorative as the CA glue secured them to the surfaces.  I hope your day has been going well.

Best,

Jerry

Yippee I have finally completed the Rudder assembly.

I couldn't believe have much effort was required, took much longer to complete than I thought it would.

I'm pleased to report the rudder does rotate on the hinges a  little bit and looks OK to the untrained eye but I know the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired.

It took many attempts to get some photos I could post.

post-7550-0-95360400-1429036453_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-15300100-1429036473_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-15207900-1429036492_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn...

Your rudder looks familiar; I wonder why? Nice going...

Please look for my PM.

Thanks,

Jerry

Greeting Glenn

Well done with your rudder. I found it an awkward job and said I was not happy with it, but yours certainly looks ok to me. Don't forget to add coils around the belaying pins before you add any of the rigging. Also around the rail on both sides of the bell if you follow. Well done. DAVID

Thanks to Jerry, David and Robert for your comments. I plan to fit the chain tonight all being well then I can declare the stern work complete

I think I will then have a couple of weeks tiding up and completing some small jobs on the Hull.

I also have to think about the hammock crane assemblies, which will probably take another couple of weeks to complete at the very least.

I'm almost certain I will buy a lathe to help some of the reduction work on the Bow Spirit, Mast, Yards, etc. but I will have to wait next month before I move forward with that.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Started fitting the hammock cranes last night, adding the netting was not as bad as I thought it might be. I suspect it will take a week or two to complete this task. I will post some picture to show progress in the next day or two.

Then I start with the bow spirit, masts and yard production which is a phase I'm really looking forward to starting.

Following some discussion with some MSW members regarding lathes / drill presses and internet researching I have taken the plunge and bought the Proxxon DB250 mini lathe (sorry Jerry!!!) as I think this will best serve my needs, hopefully delivery is expected tomorrow (24th April).

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.

Good luck with your new lathe...I wish you many happy years using it.  Now you have the makings of a profesional shop.  LOL...Later,

Jerry

Halo David. I have not ordered the Chuck as yet. When reviewing the product there is a face plate which other users have said we do the job, plus I've looked at some footage on YouTube. If needed I can order one separately at a later date.

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.

I'm not rubbing it in but....a chuck???  Not necessary as an addition with a drill press since it comes with it.  I guesss it's to each his own. Anyway i wish you much success with your lathe.  And maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.  Just kidding you and having fun and I didn't even have a drink.  By the way I ordered a Viking Ship kit by Amati so I guess that's my next build.  Take care,

Jerry