US Brig Syren by NWdiverTodd - Model Shipways - 1:64

Todd - I have to ask you about your Avatar. Do you have a Hobbie?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Oh My! I will be up your way ASAP. I have a SolCat 18. We have much to discuss.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help from you other Syren folk.

I was playing with the ship's boat and while laying out the parts I noticed that I have only 4 "lifts" and the bottom.

I'm missing the top most lift.  This is an issue because it is shaped very different than the others.

It looks like only 4 lifts are shown on the plans.

I don't see where it should have been in the kit. There is no room on the sheet that included the other lifts.

I can ask for another sheet, but before I do that, would you kind folk have a look and see what came with your kit?

Thanks very much,

Todd

Current build US Brig Syren

The lintel and sills are complete. Well, I have a bit more sanding to do, but I figured I would complete that after I add the rest of the parts.  Like many others, the template that came with the kit was the wrong size.  My thanks to Charley for sending me new ones!  My new challenge is that when I line up the aft most bulkhead with the template (per the instructions) I am off at the forward bulkhead by 1/8".  As both sides are the same my plan is to adjust the template to fit between each bulkhead and both sides should match.  Please let me know if there is a problem with this idea!

The picture shows both templates, the color is the new one.

post-2206-0-94731700-1389119444_thumb.jpg

Todd- Checked my kit for you and I see what you mean. I have 5 pieces total for the boat and in the picture it looks like there should be 5 lifts plus a bottom.  Hmmm.... inquiring minds want to know........

As for the variation in the vertical framing..  I just made sure that the framing plan was lined up on the last bulkhead and then made small adjustments as I installed all the remaining frames. I think it came out ok for me.

Ive been working to much the last couple weeks so I havent been around as much as I like but your Syren is looking  good!

Charley

Thanks Charley!  I'm fumbling my way through.  If you see me heading for a mistake, don't be gentle, kick me to get me back on track...

I have only laid out the first three gun ports.  The very first on both sides have the bulkhead leaning slightly aft rather than 90 deg to the lintel and sill.  If I matched the angle of the bulkhead I would have a slight trapezoid gunport, so I added a angled shim to make the gunport square with the sill.  I'm not sure this is correct, but it looks better to my eye.  

I sent a message to Chuck about the longboat, we shall see what the boss says :-)