Benjamin. W. Latham Fishing Schooner

Does anyone know the construction of the (Galley Hatch & Light) of the Benjamin. w. Latham it looks circular on the drawings. Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks   

Hi Ragove

Thanks the photo has shown the full shape of the Galley Hatch, & overall a good photo of a nice model.

Doreltomin

Thanks for the link those plans    

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ragove

Thanks the photo has shown the full shape of the Galley Hatch, & overall a good photo of a nice model.

Doreltomin

Thanks for the link those plans    

you are very welcome.

The  plan of the Benjamin Latham published in the (Former East) German Magazine "Modellbau Heute" in 1987 or 1989 does not show anything like that. See for yourself here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5c0tef95LTc/Tjw2f6WVc6I/AAAAAAAAAnw/Biv0C9B_87E/s1600/01.jpg

I believe that the Model Shipways plans are based on Smithsonian data by Erik A. R. Ronnberg, Jr..  I wonder if anyone knows which is correct.  It is possible that both versions are correct, showing the vessel at different times of her life.

Ron Gove

Hello Ron,

In the meantime I had the time to check in my collection of old magazines. The Benjamin W Latham appeared in the former East German magazine Modellbau Heute number 11/1989 (which is, november 1989) and is a well researched topic written by Michael Sohn which includes several photos of the original ship, all credited to author's own collection. One even shows the ship being built on the John Bishop yard in Gloucester. It may well be that the plans are drawn by the author and are based on his own research. Whether the author also studied the Ronnberg plans I cannot say but it's a clear thing that they are different from the one on which the Model Shipways kit is based.