Rigging thread question

enemeink

Currently I've been using the black nylon thread that has come in my model shipways kit for the standing rigging and have been thinking about swapping over to Corels for the running rigging.

My complaint about the nylon thread is that it's not very easy to work with when it comes to tying of the line or making coils of rope on the deck. it's too stiff and springy in my opinion. plus when it comes off the spool it retains the shape of the flat spool.

My question is: Am i going to have the same issue with the Corel rigging line or will it be easier to work with? it's a cotton polyester mix as opposed to straight Nylon.

You can try wax the MS line but that may only be be partially successful.

What's the composition of Corel's? if it's nylon as well your just trading one for the other.

You may want to try replacing it with an afetr market line.  I've used Syren Model's line for two projects (so far) and it is as good as it gets for scale rope.

Check their web site (they're a sponsor here)

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

I must admit I dislike those flat spools  and now buy rigging thread in largest possible length on round spools. To relax the thread I cut off  about six feet soak in hot water and  suspend the thread   with a weight on the end from one of  a set of magnetic hooks I have attached to the steel door of the workshop . After 24 hours the  kinks and bends are removed. I only cut off what I need and replace the weight on the end of the remaining length.

Kip

Edited by sawdust

You can try wax the MS line but that may only be be partially successful.

What's the composition of Corel's? if it's nylon as well your just trading one for the other.

You may want to try replacing it with an afetr market line.  I've used Syren Model's line for two projects (so far) and it is as good as it gets for scale rope.

Check their web site (they're a sponsor here)

thanks for showing me the syren models. i heavily contemplating trying this line. my only reservation is that the lines only come in 20ft bundles.

I have one of the MS plank bending "soldering iron" things that I have never used to bend a plank with, but if you warm the thing up and run the MS line over it, it does a beautiful job of ironing out the spook kinks.  I set it in it's holder and run the line under the plank bender.  As the thing gets hotter, you'll have to move the line quicker but you'll figure that out.