Thermopylae Society?

P_Budzik

This may seem a bit obscure, but many (40) years ago while living in San Francisco, the maritime Museum was a favorite haunt.  There was a small counter at the entrance where they sold books.  One day I noticed an old yellowed thin booklet with a title from the Thermopylae Society.  I should have bought it, but like so many times we always think that ...next time.

Is there some group or such that maintains more detailed information on the Thermopylae?  It seems that all the information that I see involves a fair amount of speculation as to deck arrangement, rigging, and most details etc.  Of all the tea clippers it is the one that I have been fascinated by the most.  Does anyone know of a good source for plans of this ship?

Thank you,

Paul

Paul,

David McGregor's 'The Tea Clippers' has a couple of pages about the ship and small hull lines, deck plan and sail plan, although the deck plan has been entirely reconstructed using available evidence.

It might also be worth your while contacting the Melbourne Museum (Australia) as they have the Cyril Hume model of Thermopylae.

This is a link to the Hume model in Melbourne:

http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/397490/sailing-ship-model-clipper-Thermopylae

John

David Macgregors "Fast Sailing Ships" has a large fold out of the sail plan and the builders list of masts and yards, as well as the lines plan. The entry in the tea clippers is a slightly abridged version of the information in Fast Sailing ships. I have never seen a builders deck plan.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

The "Powerhouse Museum in Sidney, Australia has a lines plan used to build the model in the London Science Museum. I do not know why you should have to go to the museum in Sydney for the line to the model in London. It makes no sense.

From what I saw on the website, the plan in Sidney seems to hace a little more sheer than Macgregors.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

Thank you the tips.  I do have both McGregor books so that's a step.  Looks like the London Museum packed up all the ship models a while back, but found some photos of the model in Sydney that should help.

Paul

Edited by P_Budzik

Paul, You could try the Maritime museum in Aberdeen Scotland they have what I was told is the builders model of the Thermopylae. She was after all built there at the Hall Russell shipyard,perhaps they have plans of her.

Regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

As davyboy says, it can't hurt to contact Aberdeen Maritime Museum as they do have the builder's model. I don't know how accurate it is, since it was made for the owners' approval before building the real ship. Possibly changes were made before building:

http://www.aberdeenships.com/related.asp?searchFor=thermopylae&index=13563&shipid=99403

Per