The next step... A choice for the next model...

timo4352

I'm still building my first model kit, and I am already looking at a choice for the next one. You may have seen my posting for my lobster smack, and can use that info to gauge whether you think my choices for a second kit are appropriate or not. 

I have come to the conclusion that I would need some more advanced tools and a better building place than the kitchen table.

So - keeping a reasonable budget in mind - my choices are the Glad Tidings Pinky schoooner and the Benjamin W. Latham by Model Shipways. 

Do you all think these kit are a reasonable choice or am I jumping in too deep, too soon?

Thanks for your experienced input.

Tim

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

Tim, 

Selecting a kit to build is a very personal and complex choice.  The ideal kit is challenging but build-able.  If you're up to the challenge of planking and all of the detail, then I say yes! 

If you're thinking this might be too much, too soon, here are a four kits where you can develop your skills and will be challenging. 

Artesiania Latina Swift - List price is $88, but these are regularly available on eBay for much less.  Look for the new version (white box).  The planking wood in the older version kit (blue green box) will need to be replaced.  There are lots of build logs for the Swift on MSW to help you along.  Also, this is a good kit to do some 'bashing.'  This is next my next build and I will be making a lot of changes.    

Corel Sloop list price is $125, butwatch for sales at ME, as low as $50, also watch ME's eBay auctions.  This boat is a French Oyster Smack.  It's double planked, nice quality wood and good for learning.  I've built this kit and I learned a lot, also, this kit is open for bashing, ie dropping the height of the cockpit floor. 

Two more options are:   

Artesiania Latina Jolly Bounty    $70

Artesiania Latina Bon Retour     $70

But at the end of the day, it's YOUR DECISION and rest assure, you will have a lot of people helping you here on MSW.  

If you're not already, be sure to sign up for emails for ME for weekly / monthly sales - excellent pricing!

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Thanks for the info on those kits, and the tip on ME emails & sales. Good to know. I've got to keep the budget under control so I don't tick off my wife - too much.  :o

Edited by timo4352

Tim

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

I pulled the trigger on the Pinky schooner. At $100 it seemed like the right choice for me.

It is on back order so I'll have to be patient for a few weeks. I've got to finish my current model first - so no big rush.

But excited to get it. The model is almost 30 inches when finished. I'm thinking a larger one like this should be easier to work on. We'll see.  :)

Tim

I downloaded the instructions and I'm studying them until the kit comes in. So I'll have a little head start. So far it sounds challenging enough, but not too much, I think. It will be more like building a real one with doing the planking. The model I'm working on now is much different. This Pinky should keep me busy for a good long while.  :dancetl6:

Tim

The Pinky is a nice looking kit.  No experiance with it but the double backbone construction looks interesting and the boat itself is a great subject.  It is a model of H.I. Chappelle's boat that he designed for his own use and I always liked the looks of it.  For more info on the history of the Pinky and how it was built you might want to take a look at Chappelle's books "American Sailing Craft" and "The American Fishing Schooners".

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Thanks for the info. I did order some of Chapelle's books from my library.

Just a few years ago I had never heard of Howard Irving Chapelle. Then I got interested in building my own boat and found out about his recording all of these historic vessels, big and small. Really great things he did for us to have and enjoy now. The fact that Chapelle designed and sailed this very craft was a deciding factor in my picking this model to build. And it just looks cool too.  ;)

And another cool thing is the kit arrived today! I wasn't expecting it for a couple weeks, but when I got home today - there it was!

Now I have somehow got to keep my hands off it until the smack is done!

Tim

Looking over the kit contents and the plans for the Pinky schooner. I'm really impressed with the plans. They are like you are building the real thing. On a whole different level than the Midwest Lobster smack I'm working on now. 

Tim