Hi All,

I'm just finishing up the deck furniture on my Racehorse and trying to decide which oil to use to finish the hull, furniture, and other wooden bits.  A friend recommended True Oil, of which I had never heard, but by which he swears.  Some quick research showed that it is manufactured as a finishing oil for gunstocks (which means it must be weather-resistant), and it seems to be popular for re-finishing guitar necks.  The manufacturer says it is a mixture of linseed (unsure if raw or boiled) and other oils. 

So, has anyone ever used it?  Does it work better/worse/same as regular linseed oil or tung oil?

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony,

I've used True Oil extensively on musical instruments. It goes on very smoothly and dries fast. It's pretty idiot proof, so I like it a lot. I've also used tung oil quite a bit. True Oil will build up to a glossy sheen faster than tung oil. If you're rubbing it well onto small parts it probably won't need buffing. On a hull you'd want to buff it lightly with #0000 steel wool to get an even lustre.

Why don't you try some True Oil on one small part and some tung oil on another? Then you could compare. They won't look very different, but you can figure out which you like working with better.

On a model base or display case, where you really want the grain to pop, try rubbing on a coat of shellac first. You'll sand it down in minutes. Then add top coats of oil. Amazing finish.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

I know this isn't a boat, but it would probably float all right for a little while. This is what True Oil looks like. This is 2 coats lightly rubbed out with #0000 steel wool. It's got a nice satin lustre. I'm not a fan of high gloss--I just can't manage it very well. Regular linseed oil, by the way, takes a very long time to dry. True Oil dries hard in a short time. Hope this helps.

Steve

post-7293-0-39384600-1393526235_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGraham

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Now I know why I have had so many problems ! I have been using FALSE Oil !!!! All kidding aside, that is some great info and I really like the look of it- now I will get some for use on the next case I build ;)

Joe

Joe Zappa

Member, Nautical Research Guild & Puget Sound Ship Modelers

Thanks, Steve.  I'm fishing for opinions right now as I currently live in Thailand and cannot find any kind of woodworking oils.  I'm sure that they are around, but I don't even know where to look, and there are no big box Home Depot-type stores that carry that sort of thing.  I'm going to have family ship me something from the States once I decide what I want to use.  I'm looking for something that gives me more of a matte than gloss finish.  Do you think tung or True would be better, as you have used both?  

Hi Tyrnac,

Tung oil comes in both high and low gloss. True oil will build up to a fairly glossy finish with enough coats. Just put on one or two coats and you'll have a satin finish like the dulcimer headstock in the photo. If matte is what you want, go with a low gloss tung oil. Even high gloss tung oil will look pretty much like a matte finish with only one coat.

Tung oil is easier to find. I've only found True Oil at gun shops, but I think you can buy it online from a place like Cabelas.

Good luck in your search.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks, Steve.  I'm fishing for opinions right now as I currently live in Thailand and cannot find any kind of woodworking oils.

Hi Tyrnac

I don't know what the gun laws in Thailand are like which might make it difficult to get True Oil but if you do manage to find somewhere that has woodworking finishes you may find China Wood Oil, this is an alteranative name for Tung Oil.

Mark

Mark D