Running rigging for sails

You can choose to leave them rigged to the yards or simply leave them off.  If a ship were in port with the sails sent down for a long period they would probably be sent down and stowed away, but for a short period they would be left rigged - your choice.

John

Not to hijack this thread but i have a similar problem concerning bunts, clews n leachlines.

After these lines pass through their proper holes, they are suposed to go to a fairlead on the shrouds then down to the pin rails.

Well what id like to know, are these lines plumbed through the shrouds then to the fsirleads?

If they pass through the shrouds, wont they create a wear problem on the shrouds? Wont they also create an obstical for men climbing into the trees?

For some reason im not comfortable with this.

Anyone have some photos?

Oh, my ship is a scratch build clipper, flying fish.

Chafing gear  was used all over the rigging,  wear points of all rigging would be protected diligently and if chafing gear would not solve the problem, rerouting of the problem line would be done using fairleads, changing blocks or whatever was needed.  Those old boys knew what they were doing and unlike modern man, jumped in and solved a problem without standing around waiting for a documented expert.

jud,

Came back to delete this post, have decided to leave it so the one following will not look so out of place.

Edited by jud

Thats great. Id run the lines through ball bearing blocks n coated fairleads, maybe even remotely motorize the entire shebang even though this is a tea clipper of 1850. Use silny sail cloth so rigging can be lighter?... Nah!

So back to routing lines through shrouds. All the reading ive done just says how its run through fairleads attached to the shrouds, but no details or mention how these lines pass through without creating undue friction n clutter on lines when hauling, or undue wear on rubs. So do they just plumb through for a natural drop?... What kind of protection did they use in 1850?

Do you know definatively how this was done?... Perhaps point me to some documentation on the protection techniques used in 1850 clippers?

No matter how i see these lines going through, they make more problems regardless of how i move em using technology i am familiar with... But thats not 1850s methods, it would be 2014 methods!... But then id re engineer the entire ship to modern materials.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at some of the early rigged British ship models (ie: ST George at Annapolis) and some at tne NMM you can see  how some modelers have chosen to portray runnung rigging with no sails. But remember that this shows old model makers conventions, not actual real life practice

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

It would be nice if i were able to see a similar real ship but nyc doesnt have any ships availale.

I can't seem to find any information on chafing methods let alone the proper routing of these lines.

Besides, this really isn't a chafing problem, it would be a hauling wear n fouling problem in the way these lines will fall.

Figuring there must be an experianced builder here that has some Clippership experiance. At least lead me to a reliable reference to methods n practice used in 1850.

Also my ship will be fitted with sails in place so all these lines will be present.

Left to me, my rerouts wouldn't be very authentic to my ship plus leave me open for critisism after the fact.... Everyone has 20/20 hind sight!

Edited by paul ron