Rookie Question About Finish

I'm working on the model shipways Rattlesnake and am starting to second guess my painting choices. I used acrylic paint purchased from Model Expo and have not applied any finish. The  more I look at it (and the dirtier it gets) the more it looks like it's lacking something. 

The question is, should I apply a finish of some kind? I'm reluctant to do that for fear of making it look too shiny. What do most folks do? Semi-gloss?

Thanks.

Rich 

There's not a lot on sailing ships of that vintage that's shiny.  Take dgbot's advice and look for a flat poly.  As an alternative there's flat acrylic lacquer (Testor's Model Master series) that will give a nice flat finish.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

What exactly are you unhappy about with your model? The colour? The consistency of the paint? Can you post a photo?

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

It's no so much that I'm unhappy with it, as I'd like to preserve it. It gets dirty pretty easy and I'm worried that without some kind of protection, the paint will fade, crack and just generally look "unfinished" if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the suggestions. I a flat or satin wipeon poly seems like a good idea.

Rich

I know what you mean. I think your best bet would be dgbot or Brian C and Augie answers. I used clear satin on my rattlesnake and it came out fine, not too shiny.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard