Are you having trouble? I see you are building the USS Constitution, there are a couple of builds on this site. Check out there build logs to see how they mounted their rudders. Hope that will help you out.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Rich, try dry fitting the completed parts to the hull and marking out the positions of the gudgeons and pintles etc before final assembly.

I use low tack clear tape to temporarily position the rudder in place using some small offcut wood to provide maintain the even spacing between the sternpost and rudder.  Then lightly mark the positions (centrelines) of the metal straps for the gudgeons and pintles on the rudder and the hull (make the marks so that the straps, when fitted, will cover them).  Remove the rudder and set to work - I usually do the hull first and then do another dry fit of the rudder just in case there are slight alignment changes resulting from the first step.

To assist, it is easier to make the gudgeons and pintle sets and shape them for each position, ready for assembly -  I also shape an offcut of wood to duplicate the rudder leading parts on which I shape the straps to better fit the actual rudder without damaging the rudder.  If you are simulating the bolts, pre drill the straps as this makes the fixing to the actual rudder much easier, and provides a template where to drill the hull to receive the bolts.

On the other hand, if your question is about making the gudgeons and pintles, have a quick search through the site as there have been several very good techniques discussed.

I hope this helps a little.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)