Swift 1805 by philo426 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - first POB build

Hello Philo426

I saw Jarero had similar problems with those aft support doglegs. He's working with the newer Swift kit though and it has several diferences.

Keep up the good work. Your making way better head way then I am.

Looks like your camera likes to focus about like mine. I dont even want to think about the rudder yet.

Shine On -/\=

Keith

Yeah be careful how you position the brass rudder mounts.I can also say that the openings for the brass pins are too large and should be carefully squeezed for a tight fit.Just be careful not to squeeze them so much that the pins don't fit.I found out the hard way!

Philo426

Did you find the planking (first planking) to be uneven thickness in your kit? I have.

I seems the brass pins and dogleg brackets arent the only parts that need adjusting. I also had to glue a bit of deck on as the bulkheads were sticking out on one side and I didnt want to just grind down the bukheads.

Guess this is all part of ship building, dealing with whatever the kit throws at you.

Keith

The thickness of the hull planking was uniform on my kit and the deck fit well I did not find it necessary to sand down the bulkheads.I agree that wooden ship building is a whole different world as compared to the plastic models I normally build.It requires a whole different skillset that I am  trying to learn before I tackle the multi gun deck warship that I hope to build someday.I never realized how spoiled i was with the perfectly preformed plastic plastic parts in a quality kit that I took for granted.A real reality check for sure!

Hey philo

I know what you mean. Going from scraping molding flashing from the plastic connection points to making and shaping everything from a box of sticks has been quite a new experience on my end too. When I told a friend I was building a wooden ship they said COOL, until I showed them the kit. They said "thats just a box of sticks". So far the instructions have been the worst part. Plastic kits definitely spoil us on that part too.

I started with the Peterboro Canoe and am glad I did. By the time I finished sanding the hull it was like glass. Just don't hold it up to the light. It got pretty thin in places.

Next time you get the camera out can you take a shot of the stem where the bulwarks come together, from inside the ship? I've test fitted the Bulwarks and the way they over lap at the stem I'm not sure how to cut them and get the proper angle. Although I'm still hour's and hour's from that point. Plankings going slow on this end but that why I started this hobby, to kill time. I'm enjoying building alot though, even with the huge learning curve.

Keep on Updating, I'm following your build.

Shine On -/\=

Keith

Yes well there is a gap in the bulwarks at the front.I will leave it until the bowsprit is installed and then close the gap.Fortunately the 2 walnut pices for the hawespipes will fill the gap nicely..I soaked them for a few hours  and clamped them to the edge of an old coffee cup to curve them to fit the bow.    001-70_zps09ae119a.jpg

Edited by philo426

Okay guys,,Before I glue this tiller bar to the rudder post..Should i machine it down thinner than shown.?

As long as you are happy with it then I would use it as is. The only caution that I can provide is from my own mistake where I had the end of the tiller to tall for the scale of the swift. It's hard to be certain from the angle of that photo but it looks like yours is a much more realistic height. Nice work.

Jared

-------------------------------
In Progress Build:

Robert E. Lee by Scientific a.k.a "The Bob"

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Are the old plans different than the new ones? I thought that the deck house tops were flat (at least they are in the new plans)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Hello Philo,

Good to see more progress. Keep up the good work, mate.

I was just looking at the stern and bow walls of the deck houses and in the older kit they are curved. Seems there are lots of differences between the old and new versions.

1) the old kit has almost no lower decks

2) the old kit has almost no instructions (I saw a the color photo instructions in jarero's build where he's gluing the deck houses.

3) The old kit doesnt have scuppers pre-cut in the bulwarks

4) It appears that some of the same wood isnt used for the same parts in the 2 kits.

Things I've found that are the same

1) its a very interesting beginners build and fun to build and watch being built.

Its good to see the several swift builds being put up here. I havent been able to build the last few days due to my disablity and it nice to be able to watch others progress. I hate when this condition takes me out of the game, BUGGER!

The curved deckhouse roofs also make sense as the deck is compound curved to the mid-ship and out to the scuppers. I would expect as much to help move water off the decks. Water leaving the roofs would be pulled towards the scuppers and past the doorways. But then thats just my common sense talking I dont know for sure.

I have found the drawings way more beneficial then the 4 1/3 pages of written instructions. I agree, if approached as a learning tool, the Swift is a great learning project.

Personally, I've been contemplating painting one of the deck house roofs with the prism and changing the name from Swift to "the Dock side of the Moon"

Edited by themadchemist

I had to think of a way to taper down the bowsprit.So I put it in my cordless drill and held a chisel against the rotating bow sprit blank.Then I chucked a coarse sanding drum in my vise and again held it as it rotated. Then I used fine sand paper to smooth it out.   001-70_zpsdbc955a2.jpg

Hello Philo.

Sounds like a poormans lathe. I've seen barrels turn on a demel that have turned out very nicely. Its great using your imagination to figure out solutions to all the demands of a wooden kit.

For me it makes the building frustrating, but more fun, as I love solving a good problem.

I recently saw Ron (rlb) on his US Brig Oneida turn a square stock piece of cherry into a 5mm dowel which he then used to make deadeyes with a homemade jig for drilling the deadeye holes. The jig he used was a modificaton of one Russ used on his cross-section.

The page with Rons deadeye construction:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/91-us-brig-oneida-by-rlb-the-lumberyard-pof-148-scale-1809-lake-ontario-warship/page-11

Russ's crossection - a great way to learn lots of technique

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1091-cross-section-model-by-russ-148-scale/

Just goes to show what we all can do with just the most basic of toys/tools. Of course it takes longer....

Great job!