My project  now is the U.S.Alert 1805, they call it a cutter, but the hull design is more like a schooner. I'm

thinking I might like to try scale planking, I've tried to find out what the length of the planks were.but I couldn't

find any info, so if some one here has that information  it would be much appreciated. I've tried using 25ft. but at 1/25th scale it puts the planks at about 12 in. scale (if I calculated right :rolleyes: ). Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Thanks

Frank

Edited by riverboat

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank:

For scale length planks, anything in the 15-25 ft range would be okay.

Russ

The range from Russ sounds about right. The term "Cutter" has nothing to do with rig or form but rather function. It is a Revenue Cutter - a term still used today to describe the Coast Guard fleet.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hey, Thanks Russ and Wayne, That was a great help .

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

I would go with Russ stick with 12" for your planking.  The Alert makes into a lovely model.  Are you going to use the AOS series to help you build it?

David B

One thing to keep in mind is that the AOTS book is about a British naval cutter from ~1777 while the US Alert was built about 1818. Not sure where They got 1805 for the kit.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Greetings Frank,

According to the book entitled A shipyard in Maine (about schooners built by Percy and Small between 1894 and 1920) planks up to 45' long were used to construct their schooners. All this proves is that builders used whatever was readily available and easy to work with. As to your build, I can't see how you could be wrong so long as you use a plank of reasonable length (12' to 20' or more) and, more importantly, follow the rules regarding joint placement.

wq3296 

David...  I do have the AOS book , but like Wayne said, it's for an altogether different  ALERT.

Wayne ..... My mistake  :(  (1805), I don't know where that came from, you're right 1818 :P

wq3296....  Thanks for the information .As soon as I get finished lining off the hull,I'll see which length will fit best, and I'm pretty

sure I'll have to try my hand at spilling to have the planks lay nice and flat at the bow. 

Frank                              

USRC "ALERT"