3) Color & Appearance  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Is it important to you that all of your order is milled from the same larger piece of stock so that it's color and appearance is consistent throughout?

• Yes, this is important to me
    • No, it doesn't make any difference because it is more natural to me or that is the way kits are done anyway
  2. 2. Is it important to you that your milled wood has a minimum of figure in it? Figure is the variation in color produced by the annual growth rings of the tree and they are usually darker than the other wood.

• Yes, I prefer as little figure as possible
    • No, it doesn't make any difference to me

I spend a lot of time insuring that, if possible, your complete order is milled from the same larger piece of wood.  Sometimes I have started an order over just because I misjudged the quantity desired. Also I end up with a lot of smaller pieces of wood left over from larger orders.  Am I wasting my time with this?

It is becoming harder and harder to find wood that has the least amount of figure and I have re-milled orders because I felt that there was too much figure or that the color wasn't right.  This is a pretty subjective question and I believe that I know the answer, but just wanted to confirm with everyone.

Edited by Boatsinc2000

Jeff

aka HobbyMill

NRG Member

Current Build: Constitution

This is one of the most important issues for me as I do the final dimensioning myself.  If I want to leave the planking natural it is important to me (others may have differing opinions of the type of finish they want to achieve) that the wood at least looks that it is has come from the same batch.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)