latino nail nailer

Hi,

I'm starting my first wood model the OCCRE Palamos and I'm setting some of the tools I need, one that was suggested was the latino nail nailer which I ordered. What I'm not sure of is what nails are used with this tool (size etc.) for planking the hull to hold the planks in place while gluing. I am a beginner and new to the forum and also would like to say Hello to everyone

any information would be appreciated.

Dennis

Hello. If it's like the one I'm using, it accepts a wide variety of nails. The inner rod, the part that pushes the nail is magnetic, so that you can insert a nail and drive it vertically without it falling out of the tool. Obviously, nails made of non ferrous materials will not be attracted to the magnet.

Hope this helps

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

So no nails included in the kit? I have used railway tacks. (the little nails that hold the track down) they do work nicely. I think finishing nails would be too big. My best bet would be to order some from your hobby dealer. You can't go wrong then.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi Dennis--  I've had two different nail nailers.  One with an orange wooden handle was excellent and accepted the largest nail I would ever want to use on a ship model and was magnetic.  The mechanism packed up and I bought a new one, this one with a black plastic handle.  I don't use it because the aperture is too small for all but the smallest of nails (i.e., with virtually no head) plus the magnet isn't very strong. 

What I do instead is use a push pin to make a pilot hole and then press in the nail with long nosed pliers and give it a tap with a hammer. Most of the nailing I do on a model is to temporarily hold the first layer of planking in place till the glue dries so most of the time I don't even pound in the nail all the way but pull it out to reuse after the glue dries.  I also use nails in various places to secure things and even to simulate door handles.  If you are using the nailer on a surface that will be visible on your ship (e.g., not the first layer of planking) be careful because, especially with the newer one I have, the opening for the nail is a sharp tube and if you press too hard you can mark the finish of the wood.

Good luck and welcome!

Tom

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal