Attaching blocks and other rigging to masts and spars

This question is in conjunction with my question concerning drilling holes into dowels.

When I study build logs, all of the blocks attached to the masts and spars look so clean and neat.  I 'think' this means that a hole was drilled, thread inserted and glued, to give this appearance.  Most of the instructions for various models are not clear how this should be done.  I do state that there are cases where a block is extended for a certain distance, at the end of a spar for example.

How is this type of block attached?  Should I just wrap some thread around a few times and glue it in place?  Should I use some type of glue that has some flex to it?

I have one more question of the truly absurd type.

Chuck  

Chuck A.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even tried.

When you see a block attached to a spar, there are, broadly speaking, two ways to do it.

One is to tie the block to the spar. Usually this means either using a simple overhand knot and trimming the hanging ends neatly. You can use diluted white to seal with the knot or CA if you are used to using super glue. I prefer the diluted white glue since it will be a tad more elastic. This is NOT the real way it was done on ships, but it will get the job done, especially at smaller scales. I prefer to see the block seized properly. Attaching block with rope is usually seen on older ships.

The other way would be to have a metal band on the spar with a series of eyes that would hold hooks or shackles that are attached to the blocks. This method is used for more modern types of vessels where more metal work is seen.

Russ

Have a look at the following Youtube video: 

When you see a line going through the end of a spar or the top of a mast, It usually means that it represents a sheave inside the spar/mast. The line should be loose and slide through this hole. Sheaves can also be in the side of gunwales. The sheets of the large sails come from above outside the beam of the ship and are led down through a sheave back inside the ship where it is lashed to a cleat or pin.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .