Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Corel Ranger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

gulfmedic1

gulfmedic1

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLafayette, La

Has anyone done this build and would it be a good second build, first POB build and is this an everyday price or a discounted price, I have only purchased one kit from model expo but if this is a good second build and a good starter for first time with POB I would like to get it while its on sale

http://www.modelexpo...&srccode=free13

mtaylor

mtaylor

• Moderators
  • 6,701 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

There's only one buildlog I can find: http://modelshipworl...orel-164-scale/

You might ask Wayne (trippwj) who's building it.

trippwj

trippwj

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationEastport, Maine, USA
That is a good price. I think mine was $75. Thus far it has been a good intro to POB. A couple of things to be wary of - the plans and instructions list different scales, and there are a couple of tables I couldn't find in the instructions. The instructions are pretty good, with plenty of drawings. I made a couple of mistakes early which is making the first planking more difficult than it should be.

Wayne

Current builds -

USRC Harriet Lane (solid hull kit - nearing completion)

Fishing Smack Emma C. Berry (POF)

Aeropiccola Kit US Frigate Essex

Partially built, moved to the back of the shelf for now- USRC Detector (POB)

On the shelf awaiting experience and building space -

Model Shipways English Pinnace

Model Shipways Syren

Masting & Rigging Research Project

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

gulfmedic1

gulfmedic1

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLafayette, La

thanks Wayne

Desert_Sailor

Desert_Sailor

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 41 posts

I'm currently building Ranger. It would be an OK 2nd POB kit..  The only negative I 'v seen is the casting quality of the metal parts. It's not very good.  I've had to drill out the holes in the cross trees and mast fittings and do ALOT of filing....

The rudder gungeons are VERY fragile and do not bend to the curvature of the aft hull as shown in the drawings  .. So be VERY CAREFUL...

Also, one of the metal anchor "T's (?) "  was missing so I had to scratch two new ones...

I've just started the rigging

The rigging looks complex  but patience will win out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.