HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

This will be my log for the Sphinx from Vanguard Models.   It's due to come in the morning. 

I've been gathering paints (and testing them) and some odds and ends like sand papers.   Today , I'm clearing the workshop, etc.  Once it's here, I'll start posting to my log.   This should be a fun project and also, a bit of re-learning.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I’ll be interested to see your take on this model Mark, so I’ll come along for the ride. Plus, someone might have mentioned you have a well-stocked bar in the corner……

Thanks Glenn 

Er, yes Grant, the bar in the corner is always open.;)

It came this morning.  I've been inventorying everything and it all looks good to me.  Still have a few more sheets to look at.   Minimal surface char on the wood and a pile of brass photo etch and other parts.   I won't do a parts photo session as there's plenty of those around.  I'm trying to figure out where to hang all the plans that come with this.

I'm also a bit surprised at the size.  She's a bit smaller than my Licorne or the Belle Poule. but then, they had about 6 more guns or so.

As for the photo etch... does anyone know if there's a coating on them?   I'll still put them in vinegar for a bit to add some "tooth" and clean with alcohol before painting. Just need to sort out if I need to set up an acetone bath.

I'll start assembly as soon as I'm done inventorying.  Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this kit.  

The box... big and heavy.

DSCF3254.thumb.JPG.f67cc2c83999c26ee813dbac231524e7.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking forward to this Mark, I've always had you down as a scratch only builder but am sure this will be a fun project.  

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

14 minutes ago, Beef Wellington said:

Looking forward to this Mark, I've always had you down as a scratch only builder but am sure this will be a fun project.  

Nah.. I've done two kits without bashing, one with a heavy bash and then started scratch building.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well, I've sorted as best I can (not much table top space in shop), and have started building.   So far, so good. In a little bit, I'll build up the bow and then let the glue dry on both while reading ahead on the instructions.  Once I feel it's cured out, I'll start the shaping needed.

1-1.thumb.JPG.715fd670bc71a92de4cf82d62012a205.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I'm onboard, Mark, and I'm looking forward to watching build this beauty. I'm seriously thinking I may need to get this model when Chris has another batch ready.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Found you buddy  - got all my equipment and food stuffs ready  and a seriously comfy chair  - ready for the ride.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks for the likes and comments.   And yes, adult beverages are permitted.... smiley_bartender.gif.84e4ade4adcf1862a87911379e97df79.gif

Did a bit more tonight and built up the stern.  Both will need rough fairing but I'll do that tomorrow.  Eyes are getting tired.  I'm still sorting out plans.   Not sure what they're all for but hopefully I'll figure it out.

1-2.thumb.JPG.917f20fa1535a08fc42fe0fa57eb8ef2.JPG1-3.thumb.JPG.cfe152d117f3f57ea7415661bb30d05b.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Squeezing in at the bar to follow your build, Mark. 😉😊

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I'm in, over top of you; flying cover, it you will. Taking a chair up here in the loge. Toss a pop up here, will you, OC? 😄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for looking in everyone.   So far so good in the build.  I'm doing some minor shaping on the bow and stern and saving most of the final shaping for the fairing during planking.  Once that's done, I'll start getting the bulkheads installed.

13 hours ago, James H said:

A number of the plans are supplementary as you'll see the whole build through the manual, but you can at least refer to the plans too for peace of mind.

As far as I'm aware, there is no coating on the brass. I tend to prime the brass with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer before I add paint. That stuff has a good bite to the surface.

Thanks for the info, James.   I'll just park all the supplementary plans for now unless I need them.  And that's excellent news on the brass.   I don't like the chemical solvents unless I can do them outside or with all the windows open.  With the fires covering this valley I'm in with heavy smoke, that's not really an option.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, 

I knew it! You just couldn't stand it seeing others getting the Sphinx....😄

Well, I found my comfy chair and getting an ice-tea.

I will follow this this build with interest. And you are off with a good start.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I didn't do much in shaping the bow and stern but I think for me mentally (yes I"m obviously mental) it'll be better to shape at the time I sand prior to planking.  I did get the bow, stern, deck, and the gun port frames mounted.  Probably would have had more done but had to buy groceries and deal with apartment issues.  

1-4.thumb.JPG.21f811ad387eeeed18db71767db0b752.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hey Mark,  thats  soon gone from a bunch of frames   - nicely  done my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looking good Mark, she's certainly taking shape! 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Small update but moving along..  I made and added the coamings and gratings over their respective openings.  Also added gundeck support beams and the beams themselves.   So far, so good, and I"m a happy camper.  Really starting to like a ship.  Tomorrow I'll work on the stern and with a bit of luck and no distractions maybe get the gun deck foundation in place.  Quite a bit of work between those bits and getting the gundeck veneer installed.

1-5.thumb.JPG.0f64c8271c88439b96531caf4821fa6a.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thats looking so nice Mark  -  and looks like a lot of strength all those beams  - loving this build mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks OC.  It is getting stronger but I still wouldn't want to drop it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I would really like to follow this blog if I may and not add anything to spoil the flow with basic questions ( Just a beginner) So if I need to ask you anything Mark perhaps I could send you a message instead?

Once you got started, you work so fast and I only wish I could work to such a high standard of workmanship. Look forward to seeing your progress and thank you for all your previous help. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Dave, welcome to my circus....  I'm feeling like the head clown today.  

If questions are related to this build, feel free to ask here.  Otherwise, PM is fine and also there are all the subforums too.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

As for the build a bit of head scratching.   My deck patterns (44 and 45) seem too wide and are not flush along the centerline.  A bit of overlap maybe <1mm.  I'll do some more test fitting and if need be, a bit if fettling with the notches where they connect with the frames.   Note, the lower deck for the hold was a perfect fit.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

11 minutes ago, JeffT said:

I think someone else had a similar issue which Chris looked into. Check the other build logs.

I will.  I looked at Glenn's log and he didn't mention it.

Edit.. I found that one and the solution was to check, double check and check again.  Headed to the shop.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: