Jump to content

Jason Builder

Members
  • Content Count

    101
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    www.argobuilder.com

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Wisconsin USA

Recent Profile Visitors

573 profile views
  1. Hi Bob, I just made my best guess regarding RC setup, though I’m sure there are good resources out there for RC. I still need to learn how to program the range of motion limits for the servos. Here’s how the planked transom turned out. It’s been fun to have the boat out on display the last couple days. Now I have that question of what to start building next. First, I’m going to take a little break. Jason
  2. Hi Bob, Thank you for the kind comments. The steam engine and steam plant is a kit from MSM (Miniature Steam Models) in Australia. The instructions do not provide instruction in setting the boat up for RC, other than recommended location for servos. Cheers! Jason
  3. Hi Everyone, Installed the prop shaft and propeller, then mounted the steam-plant and attached the prop to engine drive pin which is mounted on the end of the prop shaft. Big day over at the ole model ship yard, as the Alexandra is done for the time being (until the ice melts off the lakes and I can launch her). -Jason
  4. Ahoy, The red was to red for my liking as a bottom paint, so I mixed in some brown to achieve a color I liked better. Re-masked and painted the green. Many coats and much sanding later, I was done and then I attached the rudder.
  5. Hallo skipsbyggere! I'm applying multiple coats of spar varnish to the transom. I used my surface gauge to mark the waterline on the hull (after making sure the hull was level starboard to port, and stem to stern). Now the hull is masked and the first coat of finish paint applied. -Jason
  6. Buenos Dias Amigos! Sanded the primer with 400 grit. I decided to go with a varnished transom, so I planked the transom with Mahagony. 2nd coat primer applied this morning.
  7. Thanks for all the kind encouragement through this project! This evening I cobbled together a support stand to rest the ship on when painting the hull, from some scrap pine with felt on top. Sanded the hull with 330grit and applied a coat of rustoleum primer.
  8. Hi Bob, The cleats and chocks are from the kit and are cast metal. This is the first Krick kit I’ve built and I would say it is a high quality kit. The fittings, hardware, hull, and wood were of good quality. Nice machined and cast fittings, detailed wooden ships wheel, high quality accessories kit. What I added above and beyond the kit was all the non standard Wooden planking, trim work, and stronger servo bases. I also did not use the flags from the kit or the display stand. Door hinges did not come with the kit so I bought functional brass ones. Jason
  9. Salve, Well I can see the finish line! Here is the boat as she sits now. I got the fenders from Krick. They only needed the ends cut, tied and whipped. Remaining work is to mark the waterline, paint the hull, install the prop and prop-shaft, which I will do over the coming days or weeks. Then when it warms up (many months from now), I will see if she floats. -Jason
  10. Bonjour, Flemish coil for the dock-line at the bow. I didn't glue this to the deck, but I did use superglue to glue the coils together so that the flemish coil will stay tight. I can never remember if these are supposed to go clockwise or counter clockwise, I will have to look that up again so that I place it on the deck with the coil going the right way. -Jason
  11. Witaj, Cutting curtains from fabric; not my area of expertise, but I think this will turn out nice. I mounted the curtains on compression-fit curtain rods made from a hardwood dowel.
  12. Sawubona, These little finishing touches are fun. Recent activity has included: make and varnish flagpoles install cleats along the deck install the brass handrail for the ladder/steps Install the window panes (note: these all needed to be trimmed to fit) painting the brass smoke stack (looks like this will take about 6 coats to get a nice gloss yellow opaque finish) Installed the door (I used very nice little brass hinges that I bought from MicroMark, they are functioning hinges and the door opens/closes. Also installed the brass doorknob fr
  13. Merhaba! I have been plugging away with more coats of varnish. After the last coat I'm calling it quits with varnish, not sure how many coats I did but I think it was 6. Could keep going but I'm done with it. Installed brass deck fittings this evening which was fun. Probably should have painted the hull first, but I wanted to have some fun with the little trinkets. Aside from attaching the fun deck hardware, I am also finishing the keel. I have sanded and now am now applying fairing compound (epoxy compound) to the keel and also making a nice curved fillet transition between
×
×
  • Create New...