HM Cutter Mermaid - Deck fittings

Can anyone help with identifying the item on deck just forward of the tiller please. 

post-15284-0-50876000-1430026319_thumb.jpg

The cutter was an 84 ton cutter built of teak in Calcutta, commissioned in 1817 and used to explore and survey the Australian coast. The kit makes no mention of this and I haven't been able to identify it with my (very) limited knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

As a matter of interest the bilge pumps don't appear in this sketch and the throat halliard and topping lift both seem to be running through blocks attached to or below the lower mast cap. This appears contrary to Lennarth Petersson's book and the kit instructions.

Rick 

Edited by Rick01

Rick:

That is a binnacle cabinet. It is where the compass is kept.

Russ

Rick,

The item you circle appears to be a binnacle box - to protect the compass.  On a vessel such as this the pumps may have been removable.  As far as the rigging is concerned, the sketches and paintings we have of 'Mermaid' were executed by King - her commanding officer.  Go with the captain and not with a kit manufacturer! ;)

John

Thanks guys - I should have had a little more faith in my own instincts. I had thought of a binnacle cabinet but wondered as she was such a small ship. I'll start a search here for examples and should be able to dummy something up without too much trouble.

Rick

Thanks for the illustration Brian - with that and a number of other pictures I've found I've been able to work out ratios of side to width to height. However I haven't been able to find any measurements for a full size one that I can scale down. I realize that they'll vary but I'm guessing that the cabinet would stand between 900 and 1200 mm high. Can anyone confirm this for me. I can scale it down to 1/48th easily from there.

Thanks

Rick

Love to Brian but I'm afraid my night driving days (bad joke here) are over at the moment. :(  Come daylight saving I'll have to look at a visit as I'm pretty sure I'll still have questions at that point.  :)

Rick

Edited by Rick01