HM Bomb Vessel Granado 1756 by mrcc - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

Whatever looks best to your eye really. I'd try one without a lid and and see how it looks next the others then decide.

I don't think having no lids is a big issue if it looks right to you and it's easy enough to just cut some more from a strip of timber and put them on. The lack of hinges is no drama and a model often looks better with a cleaner result without some of the tinier details if they don't come out how you like.

I grew quite fond of my Granado in the year or more it spent without sweep hinges them before they were put on recently.

Edited by Timmo

Whatever you do with the sweep ports I definitely wouldn't make them larger. They will look out of proportion.

I'd be wary of your cannon rigging plan. It will hard to get the breeching rope to look right by CA gluing it to the cascabel. The alternative is easy enough to handle. Tie or seize one end to the ring bolt that is going to go into the bulkwark. Thread it through the cannon with a single wrap around the cascabel. Work out the correct length to the next ring bolt (you could actually lightly CA glue the rope to that ring to temporarily fix that length). To give yourself room, unwrap the rope from the cascabel and pull the rope so that the first ring bolt is pulled through to the ring bolt on the cannon carriage. Tie or seize the second ring bolt. Re set the rope with the single wrap around the cascabel so the lengths are the same each side. Up to you of course but that's the way I'd do it.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

• 2 months later...

Finally some time to provide an update... I attached and painted the capping taffrail and of course repainted the legs of my "warriors" on the transom decoration to the correct flesh color.

post-1305-0-95652500-1405605391_thumb.jpg

Julian

Current: Mamoli - Friesland

Billing Boats - Dutch Sperwer

Finished: Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

On Hold: Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

And I also created the swivel gun pedestals and attached them to the hull.

It is funny how everything looks great until you take the close-up picture with the camera.

My paint finish is not so great... I presume I should be putting on a light coat and then sanding and reapplying a second coat.

I have been told there is a product that can be added to the paint that slows down the drying time and thus provides a nicer, smoother, and cleaner finish. Of course the primary problem is my 50 year old eyes being not so great for closeup work.

post-1305-0-94771600-1405605814_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-54779600-1405605837_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Well, I have been procrastinating on the cannon rigging but I think I am certainly ready to attempt this task next. Maybe this upcoming weekend.

Edited by mrcc

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Stairs are a really hard for me to build up, I think it has to do with my pieces that were in the box and will try your Lego set up. I do have a idea I use for some sanding that helps me quite a bit. Since I have a couple old decks (3) and a work table, I put 120g, 180g, and 220g grit sand paper stuck them on the corner of the one I use and sit at the most.

I do think this will help on the small pieces in a pinch.

Looking good mrcc and good to see you back at it. Crack on with the cannons - they are fiddly but worth the work.

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair... yes the cannons look very fiddly. When I see the quality of the work on MSW and the details that show up on the close-up photography, I am always very impressed. I just finished the rudder and the deck canopy for the rudder which both turned out quite well. I will post photos shortly.

Cheers,

Julian

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

• 2 weeks later...

Time once again to post some progress... completing the rudder, first painting the waterline, attaching the rudder pintle straps, and then drilling the holes in the straps to accommodate the pintles made from brass nails. I had to just slightly enlarge the rudder cutouts to align with the hull gudgeon straps the I affixed earlier in the build which I believe now was a mistake. I should have down both together at this stage. Nonetheless, everything looks good and I was very lucky to have the rudder slip into place without any problems. I will apply a second coat of paint to polish everything up.

post-1305-0-65137600-1406903559_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-73174600-1406903586_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-54558900-1406903604_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

I then tackled the tiller, tiller mortice, and canopy. All easy work... Some obvious challenge in drilling the 1mm hole centered in a 2mm by 2mm mortice.

post-1305-0-97982600-1406904099_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-77020000-1406904127_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-51194500-1406904165_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-75054600-1406904211_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-07924400-1406904233_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Last progress to note is the painting of the figurehead, lower finishing figures, and quarter badges. The problem now that I note is that with my 50 year old eyes, I sometimes miss the finer details as noted with the finishing figures, and not cleaning up the cast halves before painting them. Hmm, maybe these eyes are a blessing given this is my first build.

On another note is the frustration in who ever put my kit together at Caldercraft prior to its shipping. I was missing an entire sheet on first opening the kit and then later in the build noticed I was missing numerous stock wood strips. The retailer was excellent last year in providing the missing parts after a direct email to Jotika was unanswered.

I again have noticed that I am missing some casting parts, specifically the figurehead sceptre and the 2 cathead decorations. 

post-1305-0-64056000-1406904834_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Julian, nice work on the painting. I think you might have that tiller upside down. I've just done this bit on my Granado. The bend should point up away from the deck to sit about midriff height for the helmsman.

Oops... You are right Timmo. Not sure if I will be able to fix this given the housing is soundly glued in place.

Edited by mrcc

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Hi mrcc - don't even try to fix it! If Timmo hadn't pointed it out I wouldn't have known or noticed it. You are doing very well with the kit - it is looking better with every post - and an "oops" is seen in every build.

Cheers

Alistair

True, don't attempt a fix if it'll cause more harm. I only know because I've just finished that very piece but Alistair is right that Joe average probably notice. Drilling out a 2mm square timber was ridiculous so good work on nailing that.