Dutch Sperwer by mrcc - Billing Boats No. 402

Was debating doing a build log for this older kit that was given to me from my brother, as he received it from a co-worker that had recently passed away, and wished to pass it to him and thus to me prior to his passing...

It is classified as a beginner build but these "beginner" kits from Billing Boats are in my opinion so basic in design and parts and given the poor tolerances for fitting out of pieces and parts, that it in fact it is not a beginners kit.

The high end large kits (now laser cut) with fitment being so perfect, that though classified as advanced, it perhaps could be qualified as much easier to build... anyway my thoughts.

I decided to do the build and pass it back to my brother given the emotional connection is truly with him.

My wife is Dutch descent and given my trips to Holland and having seen my fair share of Dutch river barges... I do find them absolutely beautiful!

I have decided to build it completely out of the box with no upgrades with the exception of the sails.

I started this in the fall and worked on it here and there... I did forgot to take some early pictures but this is what I have to show for...

This thing was not easy to plank at the bow for me and given it is single planked construction, I knew really quickly that this was a plank and paint project... which all of the working Dutch barges' hulls are anyways  - painted. 

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

Julian

Current: Mamoli - Friesland

Billing Boats - Dutch Sperwer

Finished: Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

On Hold: Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

I did plank the deck and cabin floor boards with left over strips from an other kit that is finished... turned out looking good, especially with a couple coats of varathane.

Not so good is how the bulwarks fit and became a real mess for me fast!

Some layers of wood fill and touch ups and now looking a bit better... as exemplified in the post to follow.

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Again, building the kit with supplied parts (often plastic), with touch ups to follow, especially on the hull.

Unfortunately a bit stalled as waiting to put together a large order of stuff from Cornwall Model boats... short on matching Admiralty paints in order to finish painting the hull (and acquire other fittings for my future project of an old vintage Mamoli Friesland kit which I purchased off of EBay- which surprise surprise is missing a few parts. Lucky that Dusek Models is able to supply the missing items via CMB).

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

I'll tag along, I am sure your brother will love it. Good luck on your journey.   :cheers: 

Edited by Knocklouder

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Very nice work on your Sperwer Julian! Working with older Billing kits certainly has its challenges but you seem to be dealing with them handily. Those planking curves at the bow and stern certainly sure look daunting! I have the Mamoli Catalina coming up next in my build sequence so I will be dealing with a very similar hull. I have also built the Billing Zeeschouw but it had very easy hull planking and it had laser cut parts so it was a pretty easy kit compared to your model.

Keep up the great work and I'll continue to follow along.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Thanks Peter for your comments…

Funny as I reviewed your entire Cutty Sark build log a few weeks back and enjoyed it thoroughly. 

PS… noticed you are on the Island… my parents are retired in Nanaimo and we love to spend time there once a year, time permitting. 

Cheers,

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria