Another copper plate question?

thanks brian. now just have to find somewhere in oz to buy them? still have a few more questions though? is copper tape better than plates? how much of either will i need? what size for a 1:60 model should the plates be?

i really am a copper novice i am afraid!

chris

Just make sure you don't put the second layer of planking over the copper plates. :) :) :)

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Vossey

I bought copper plates for my current build - HMB Supply. After a lot of searching, I found it was cheaper to buy them from Cornwall Models in the UK. That was when the Aussie Dollar was worth more though. Modeller's Shipyard will sell them to you but they are hideously expensive.

Float A Boat in Melbourne may have them. They are not listed in their catalogue but it s out of date. It would be worth calling them. Nice people to deal with.

http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/fittings/copper-plates-sheathing/

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

hey hornet. i'm 100% with you on modeller's shipyard prices on anything! i have been to the float a boat store and dealt with them before. they are terrific people. they where the ones who told me that mckays bounty book was not available in oz. i have ordered a copy from the uk. looks like i may have to do the same with the plates.

Well I can vouch for Cornwall model boats. The plates I ordered were very quick in getting here and (at that time) were less than half the price of Modeller's Shipyard (including shipping)

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

sucks eggs our dollar is so low but i want be getting anything till i get the mckay book anyway. that may or may not be for xmas. i know it is ordered. will give me plenty of time to search out suppliers, quantity, and size etc. i am still a bit confused as to whether or not to go with single plates of copper strip? anyway i still have to complete first planking so a final decision is a ways off.

Vossey

I would also suggest you get a Squadron Super Glue Applicator. They are very cheap and deliver a small drop of glue to the back of each plate quickly and easily. Combined with tweezers, I found that fitting plates was made much easier than the method shown on the Modeller's Shipyard YouTube Clip ( applying a line of glue to the hull then putting on the plates) I managed to glue the entire hulls of my Sloop Norfork and the Supply without glueing my fingers together even once. :)

I bought my squadron applicator from Frontline Hobbies here in Newcastle, but I imagine they would be available in most hobby shops. See link below.

http://www.modelsrgo.co.uk/squadron-tools-precision-super-glue-applicator.html

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Besides smoothness, the second layer of plank would give you the correct thickness.  Your copper probably wouldn't be set back a couple of inches from the topsides, in most cases.

Chris 

Using copper tape is much less expensive than buying individual plates.  They are easy to make and   the way a lot us do it faster.  We layout a strip of 6 to 8 plates at a time.  The adhesive on the copper tape is also far superior to that on the individual plates.  The copper tape is generally used in making colored glass windows.

A ponce wheel (a wheel that looks like a cowboys spur and used in sewing, dressmaking) is needed to simulate the rivets.  I measure out a lentgh of tape equal to 6 or 8 plates, then with the edge of my little 6" ruler score a line indicating the plates. Then lay it flat on a plate of glass or other solid flat surface, lay the ruler next to the edge and run the ponce wheel the length of the strip, then do the same on the other edge. To help with the explanation check out the attached photos. Hope this helps a little.

Good luck

Tom

post-30-0-32146100-1449360318.jpg

post-30-0-44217800-1449360337.jpg

post-30-0-26918700-1449360361.jpg