Bending wire to 90 degrees...

I am trying to bend soft florist wire to 90 degree angles to make handles for chain pumps to be located on the gun deck of my HMS Surprise. It requires 4 90 degree angles in a row to create a rectangular handle. However, I am having trouble getting the angles to be sharp enough to look as good as the Jotika model on their website.

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/KitPics/LRG/Surprise_Const073_lrg.jpg

post-549-0-61601000-1364663342_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Try bending them over a steel machinist's square or a small anvil. A piece of machined metal will give you the sharpest angle over which to bend the wire.

Russ

Do you have any friends that are into RC airplanes? If so, they could lend you a special pair of pliers used to put 90 degree angles in control rods. It's just what you need. I'm traveling right now, so can't post a picture but you could find a description on any RC hobby sales web site.

Eric O.<p>Current Build: US Brig Syren, kit

Florists wire may not take too kindly to a sharp 90° bend.  Maybe try brass wire and heat it to red and then allow to cool, bend it and use a light hammer to persuade it to go 90° over a sharp 90° block.  It can be painted or chemically blackened to look "right".

• 4 weeks later...