Questions regarding the Studding Sail Boom

I have been working on my Pride of Baltimore II from Model Shipways for over a year and have run into a question that I have not been able to find an answer. The plans show a Studding Sail Boom on the starboard side of the Fore Lower Yard, and not the Port side. The picture on the front of the instruction manual looks like there is one on both sides. I have tried to search the WEB for pictures of the ship but none show this clearly, Does anyone one know if only one Boom is used or do I modify the plans and install one on both sides?

Yard details.JPG

There would be stuns'l booms on both sides regardless of whether they were both rigged out or not.  Your plans show detail on only one side to improve clarity.  Notice that the foot ropes and stirrups are shown on the right side while the cleats only appear on the left.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Henry is right what ever is on the right put on the left and whats on the left put it on the right to. You wouldn't put sails only on the starboard side the ship would go around in circles HAHA.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hi ronkamin;

Every illustration I have ever seen of ships with studding sails (normally abbreviated to stun's'ls or similar) shows them rigged out on both sides.

However,  one slight point to watch if anyone is showing them set:  the sails overlap in sequence.  In other words,  port and starboard stun's'ls are not both set abaft,  nor afore the square sail they join.  If the port one is abaft the sail,  the starboard one will be afore it,  and vice versa.  The one the most to windward was set behind.  This was done to ensure that the wind did not pass through the overlap of the sails,  but had to pass behind all three.

When the ship changed tack,  the stun's'ls were shifted to the other side of the square sail.  Must have been a lot of work to shift them all on a large vessel.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS