USS ETHAN ALLEN SSBN 608 by torpedochief - FINISHED - RESTORATION

Torpedochief, I love the model.  I came across this forum while researching material for a new chapter.  My brother Frank and I wrote a couple of submarine books recently--Poopie Suits and Cowboy Boots, and Sub Tales.  I was interviewing the former CO of the Halfbeak, Doug Simon, by phone last week and he told me he was goo friend with Paul Lacy, the CO of Blue Crew for Frigate Bird.  I have written a draft on the Frigate Bird and why it's so dang important from a historical perspective.  Maybe you'd like to read it and weigh in.  I am from South Carolina (Pickens) and live in Irmo.  Right now my full time job (hospital physician) is a challenge with the pandemic, but I would love to talk with you if you have memories to add.  BTW, my brother was a nuke officer on the USS Seahorse based out of Charleston from 69-72. 

Best, Charles

• 3 years later...

Hi Chief,  I served on the Allen from 1969 through 1974 as a TM 2(SS) in both the Torpedo Room and as a Launcher Tech in the Missile compartment.  Started out in Rota, Spain and ended up in Hawaii before I got shore tour on the Canopus AS 34. On one of your pictures at the diving planes I think I was the one on the left and Ronald Minton is the one behind, not sure.   Oh Well, it is great work of art and I can see you are very talented model builder.   Do you still have the mode of the Allen and where is it, I would love to see it.    I am now totally retired, retired as a Captain in the Air Force, long story.   By the way, for one of your trivia questions, Who has the fastest time qualifying aboard the Allen?  Yep, it was me.   27 days from first signature to walk through and pinning still have the qual sheet.   Well fair weather and smooth seas.  Captain Larry R. Smith USN/USAF ret.