Robert E Lee by jarero - Scientific Models - Scale 1:139

He's doing what he did last time - he's a lot further and I had to nag him incessently to start his log...he does have his paddle wheels on at this point and a lot more done.

I don't think I saw Jared mention, but the directions didn't call out having a black bottom but after doing some research he realized most of the bottoms of those riverboats were tarred or sealed in some other way so the water didn't rot the wood...he decided to use black to show that aspect. The boat really is looking nice. thanks for all your support guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

I think it looks fine.

Wood grain is just something that you can't scale. Plus I agree the deck furnishings will break up the grain lines some what. Either way I like the warmer dark stain better then the unstained.

I also like your numbered paint board idea. Your moving fast on this one, lots of progress to see. She's taking shape nicely.

Thanks Keith, like I said I have been getting used to it but it doesn't hurt to hear another opinion that says I haven't ruined it! I still would do it different if I could start over but that is part of the learning experience.

Sadly I am not moving near as fast as my posts would suggest as I am catching up the log to get to present day. There is a moderator on the forums here that has been at me constantly to start my log (guess I should have listened). :huh:

-------------------------------
In Progress Build:

Robert E. Lee by Scientific a.k.a "The Bob"

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Time to build the rudder...

I took two pieces of 1/16" wood that I cut out at the correct shape on the drawings and glued them together.  Then I shaped the edges and added a round channel to the back side of it and added a small section of a dowel.

100_0577-L.jpg

100_0580-L.jpg

100_0596-L.jpg

It then was painted white and installed.  You will have to take my word for it since I must not have felt it necessary to take a picture at this point.  :wacko:

Edited by jarero

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Time to mount the boat to the display.  I had to final shape, sand, and stain the pedestals:

100_0598-L.jpg

100_0600-L.jpg

100_0601-L.jpg

And now mounted to the base:

100_0602-L.jpg

100_0603-L.jpg

100_0604-L.jpg

Edited by jarero

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Jared,

Looking fine!  :10_1_10:  And I agree that the stain is going to keep looking better as more is added although it looks good now.  I have yet to mount my Bob.  Not sure why, just haven't got around to it.  I drilled the holes very early and then set the mount aside somewhere.....

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Jim

:cheers:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Jared,

Looking fine!  :10_1_10:  And I agree that the stain is going to keep looking better as more is added although it looks good now.  I have yet to mount my Bob.  Not sure why, just haven't got around to it.  I drilled the holes very early and then set the mount aside somewhere.....

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim.  I am glad I mounted it when I did because the bottom of the hull was taking a beating otherwise.  If I hadn't mounted it I would have had to come up with something to protect the bottom.

Looks good, isnt it amazing what finish does to a piece of wood. At least The Bob has an easy cradle to construct :dancetl6:

Thanks Keith.  Yep, super easy construction on the stand!

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Time to make the 22 deck braces.  I made a photo copy of the templet included on the drawings and went to work cutting out the 44 pieces needed:

100_0606-L.jpg

100_0607-L.jpg

Notice that these need sanded? Common sense would tell you that you should sand the entire piece of wood before cutting it up into a billion tiny pieces. So what did I do? I waited until after they were cut, brilliant!

100_0609-L.jpg

100_0620-L.jpg

Then I laid them all out on the template and glued them together:

100_0614-L.jpg

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

In addition to the oversight of sanding prior to cutting I bet that I should have painted the wood first as well. It probably would have only required some touch up after assembly instead of trying to paint each of these awkward little buggers.

100_0617-L.jpg

100_0621-L.jpg

100_0619-L.jpg

Edited by jarero

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

For those that are curious what the instructions are like with this kit (and presumably other Scientific kits) he is an excerpt of the next step of the build:

100_0622-L.jpg

Again using a photo copy of the template from the plans I cut out the fibre strips included and taped them to the template:

100_0623-L.jpg

100_0624-L.jpg

Then I glued some of the deck braces that I just made to the fibre strips:

100_0626-L.jpg

100_0629-L.jpg

100_0631-L.jpg

100_0632-L.jpg

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Jared,

Good work on the deck braces.  :10_1_10:   My kit came with instructions to buld a jig to make them.  Not sure it was easier or faster, just different. :)

And my Bob doesn't have those boiler guard things.....it has lapped sides on the boiler...can't wait to see how yours looks...

On another note, I've about finished it up and will be posting completed pics some time soon.....I'm building again!!!  :dancetl6:

Cheers,

Jim

Jared,

Thanks.. :)

We are staying at the in-laws......and I have been put in the unused office since they've gone north for the summer.  :D

So moved..sorta. Settled.....not for about three months when we can relocate to our own house..... :)

But I do have a place to build now.... :dancetl6:

Cheers,

Jim

It's good to hear that you have a spot to work while you wait.  I am going on a two week vacation out of the country next week and as soon as I get back I am moving into a new house so I am about to experience some serious disruption to my modeling as well.

Did you have to build a boiler for yours or did the sheathing cover the area where the boiler would have been?

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Jared, the deck braces look very fine. Nice job.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Jared,

All I had to do was install boiler doors.  The rest is covered as is shown in my pics. :)

Enjoy your vacation!

Cheers,

Jim

John, Wayne and Keith, thanks for the compliments and yes the instructions are much better than the Swift had.

Harvey, no dice, this one is on my dime.  The last two were paid by the company though.

Thanks Jim, I'll have to go back and look at your pictures for the thousandth time! :D

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

HA, and your comparing them to the NEW Swift instruction, the ones with colour pictures.

Have fun, so are you taking Sarah or is she staying home to build the worlds smallest battleship? and what about the critters?

Just an FYI. Tammy transitioned jobs about 1 1/2 years ago, the hospitals call time was too much with me sick. Anyway, we did a 10 week travel job and while away stayed at a Candlewood Suites. The travel company picked up the tab... but they allow pets. We had the 1 bedroom suite which had the small kitchen. It was a nice setup. Of course you may already have everything planned, but being a multiple dog owner I understand the vacation or away with pets problem. If we couldn't have taken our pets we wouldn't have done the travel. It was something Tammy always wanted to do and she got to work at the Univ of MO's orthopedic training clinic.

HA, and your comparing them to the NEW Swift instruction, the ones with colour pictures.

Have fun, so are you taking Sarah or is she staying home to build the worlds smallest battleship? and what about the critters?

Just an FYI. Tammy transitioned jobs about 1 1/2 years ago, the hospitals call time was too much with me sick. Anyway, we did a 10 week travel job and while away stayed at a Candlewood Suites. The travel company picked up the tab... but they allow pets. We had the 1 bedroom suite which had the small kitchen. It was a nice setup. Of course you may already have everything planned, but being a multiple dog owner I understand the vacation or away with pets problem. If we couldn't have taken our pets we wouldn't have done the travel. It was something Tammy always wanted to do and she got to work at the Univ of MO's orthopedic training clinic.

Yeah, there are some holes in the instructions but I have no room to complain. I am still looking forward to being spoiled by the instructions with the Syren. At a glance it looked like a combination of construction steps and a "how to" on model ship building.

Oh Sarah is most definitely going. We have been on the opposite work shifts from one another for months so we need some time together to catch up!

Sounds like you were fortunate to be able to bring the dogs with you. I wish there was a way we could bring them along so instead we hired a house sitter that will live at our home and take care of the dogs, feed the fish and birds etc. We could have bought some nice Byrnes tools for what that cost but it's worth it to keep them all safe and happy.

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Time to build the engine room and this was a tough one.... I had to make a (drum roll) rectangle! Don't worry there were no permanent injuries as a result of this daring task!

100_0637-L.jpg

After I painted the engine room I decided it was too plain looking and the wall lacked texture so I added vertical planks to the wall for texture:

100_0642-L.jpg

100_0643-L.jpg

100_0644-L.jpg

And now painted again:

100_0647-L.jpg

I would appreciate some feedback on how this looks. I have not decided if I want to continue to add this to the remainder of the walls or not.

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Now to build some risers for the engine room to sit on. These were made out of two rectangles that were cut out of the pre printed sheets of wood and some 1/16" square basswood.

100_0670-L.jpg

100_0671-L.jpg

100_0672-L.jpg

100_0673-L.jpg

100_0674-L.jpg

And the approximate location on the deck...

100_0678-L.jpg

And now painted:

100_0682-L.jpg

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

So your next is the Syren?

No wonder your building so fast. This isn't a race by chance. First one done gets the Syren? Because that dinky Missouri isn't a fair race :D

Have fun, I understand the shift thing, when I was doing my undergrad, I worked midnights and slept evening. Tammy and I went days without seeing each other for nearly 5 years it seems.

So your next is the Syren?

No wonder your building so fast. This isn't a race by chance. First one done gets the Syren? Because that dinky Missouri isn't a fair race :D

Have fun, I understand the shift thing, when I was doing my undergrad, I worked midnights and slept evening. Tammy and I went days without seeing each other for nearly 5 years it seems.

Shift work is no fun but sometimes necessary.

No race at all and I will definitely be slowing down between vacation and moving. The new house has a HUGE yard so I will probably spend most of the summer outside instead of modeling.

As for the Syren my plan is for that to be my gateway from these smaller easier builds to the more complex tall ships. After that I might have the confidence to tackle my Victory??? Although this was slightly derailed when my in-laws got me a Corel Ranger as a gift so I think that moved ahead of the Syren (which I have yet to purchase).

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Personally, I find the planking undernearth more important when you paint if going for realism. Seeing the wood and graining adds to the level of real textures.

Ive noticed I rather like many of the ships of Nelson's Navy when painted when the wood is allowed to show through. Sanding to much like glass changes the look.

It really all depends on what look your going for though, I'd say its worth doing to the rest.

The risers turned out nice also.

Jared,

Looking good.....I do like the effect of the planking over the smooth ply.

Engine room risers?   I'm beginning to wonder if we really are comparing the same Bobs....... :D :D

And here I thought vacation meant you would not be building for a while....

Cheers,

Jim