Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale - Colonial Brig

Many thanks Rod.

Work in the boatyard has stalled somewhat due to other commitments (work, new grandchild etc) but am hoping to move ahead with soon.

Cheers.........Fernando :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

• 1 year later...

Just discovered your build and I am extremely impressed and inspired as I am building the same at the moment. If mine ends up looking even half as good as yours I'll be impressed. Eagerly awaiting your continuation :)

Current builds: Colonial Brig Perseverance,   Brigantine Matthew Turner,  Gorch Fock

Hi  Mike

Many thanks for your kind comments and I have added your build on my "watch list". 

Yes, it's been a long time between posts but I certainly have not given up on the Perseverance. The past couple of years , despite lockdowns etc. have been very busy with the addition of two grandkids and work commitments keeping me out of the boatyard. Work on her has been very haphazard but still on going although at a snails pace. I'm currently in Tasmania so am unable to do any work on her until I get back to Sydney which will probably be after the lockdowns come to a close up there. 

Cheers...........Fernando :cheers: 

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

• 3 months later...

Hi Fernando, just found your build log, and noticed the comment about the binnacle in this kit. I've just finished the Perseverance myself, and had the same concern...much research later, I'm convinced that pedestal style binnacles didn't appear until the mid 1800s, and the one in the kit is about 100 years too modern! I built a custom cabinet-style binnacle. Regards, Matt

B4F0263E-FCB0-4C2B-BD94-46D20EE98FAB.jpeg

DF05DC98-59CF-4A36-9E48-93B75ED4FD2C.jpeg

Edited by Sheppaz

That's a nice looking piece of work Matt. It looks like the perfect fit. I think I'll take your lead and build one myself 👍👍

Any chance you can give me rough dimensions of what you have made? 

Can you also send me photos of your model? The small bit I saw in your photo looks really nice.

Cheers............Fernando :cheers:

Previous Builds - 

Hi Matt

Many thanks for the photographs.  Beautiful workmanship on the Perseverance. I hope I can do the same for my model when I get back to the docks!

Cheers...........Fernando :cheers:

Previous Builds - 

All good Fernando, enjoy your build. My book that discusses binnacles says the typical cabinet was 3'-6" wide, 3'-6" high and 1'-3" deep. I converted this to metric and scaled, then fashion my cabinet out of scrap, with central sliding doors facing the tiller, and lamp doors on each end. Final is approx 23x23x11mm (ended up being too deep according to plans, but still looks ok). Try to use the best fine grain wood you have to skin it, as the cabinet would have been high quality as it housed an expensive (and critical!) instrument. Mine is a bit crude looking.

I had some trouble with the rigging plans for this kit...especially standing rigging, and routing of the braces. So made numerous changes per my understanding, and the books I had available. I also added many rigging details that are missing - left out by the manufacturer to keep it simple, because the model is large enough to take them and it's a good opportunity to push your skills (such as lower yard slings, truss pendants, upper yard parrells, bowsprit rigging complexity, stay-mouses etc). All part of the fun!

Reach out when you reach those phases and I can share details of what I did. Certainly still an amateur, but am developing an eye for nonsensical rope sizing and routing! Cheers, Matt

Good info about the binnacle. Which book do you reference?

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

2 hours ago, Dowmer said:

Good info about the binnacle. Which book do you reference?

There's a few pages on binnacles in Charles G Davis' The Built Up Ship Model. His design is in the background of my earlier photo in this thread. The info about pedestal binnacles emerging not before the mid 1800s is my deduction...after hours of google! There is also A History of Binnacles by Pamela Burns-Balogh, Ph.D (2011) but I've only found excerpts of it on-line.

Ah yes, a classic book. So many out there sometimes it’s hard to remember where info is.  Thank you. 
PM answered.

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig