Pin pusher

i used it mostly on my Virginia and it was ok but sometimes you need to put so much force on it that when it finaly goes in you dent the plank

i wont be using nails for planking anymore too much as when sanding the hill they really get in the way and with the AL ones they are not really brass.

for the ornamental nails on the kom i used but jsut to make the nail bite into the wood then used a hammer

also Milo this question belongs in the modelling tools and workshop equipment

Edited by Adrieke

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

I agree with Adrieke, I've had very unpredictable results using mine. Sometimes the pin will go in smoothly and other times it takes a lot of force. I drove mine right through the hull a couple of times, so I gave it up.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Ross, Adrieke, Helmsman,

Thanks for your reply,  I did think it would be hard to push the pins into ply frames, it would be better to line the tool up & then tap the end to knock the pin in, but I don't suppose its made for that,

Thanks milo  

This issue is a real problem, as some manufacturers design the kits with using the nails in mind, and providing thin soft bulkheads. This then makes pins and planking screws split the thin ply. You have to pre drill all the holes, but still end up with splits.I've got a large packet of nails/pins that came with the kit, that I won't end up using.

i think we all end up with bags and bagss of nails from all these kits :) 

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

• 9 months later...

Hope someone sees this after the thread has been unused for almost a year. My question regarding tapping in pins with a small hammer is: how to brace the piece (eg the hull, particularly if its built with open frames) so the force of the hammer isn't wasted. Maybe having never done it (yet) I will discover it takes very little force from the hammer and a simple backing can be temporarily put in place.

They are ok but you do need to predrill a pilot hole with brass pins as they are too easily bent with pressure and you still have to finish by hand using a small pin hammer in my experience. I made my pinpush and just use it these days to start the pin off if at all.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

I use a small jewelers hammer.  The first thing I do is predrill the hole.  I will use a very thin pair of miniature needle nose pliers and push the nail in.  A light tap with the hammer and a light tap with a mininail punch I made and on to the nest one.

David B

Edited by dgbot