Age of Sail 2 - 3d ship models for PC wargame

Captain of the Etna wrote:

In the three months that I sailed her, I found that she steered
perfectly well, that she carried the sail sufficiently and waved
in the wind. Its most advantageous course is the closest
with a fresh wind, she rarely fails to tack, with the wind ahead,
and loses very little when tacking, the movements are very
gentle and the mast only tires by its extreme height.

At least that's what Google translate gives me :)

I think a similar description for the Salamandre may be present on page 63 of the book, but the text is in handwriting and it's very difficult to make out with my very rudimentary knowledge of French terminology.

Edited by Martes

3 hours ago, Lieste said:

The earlier Salamandre really pre-dates widespread iron carronades in French service.

Oh, I know, but I just consider some scenarios if similar ship has survived or was built in 1800s. Quite like the model from Musee de la Marine.

Edited by Martes

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Concerning the Salamandre, I asked a friend who knows French much better than myself to translate the handwritten report that is present in the book.

And I was very surprised with the result. I half expected it to be very similar to the one for Etna I posted above, but...

...made a transcription of La Salamandre's devis from page 63. However, not much about sailing qualities of the ship. Essentially, this account is of an inventory nature.

Devis de la Galiotte du Roy La Salamandre

Cette Galiotte avec quarante cinq Tonneaux de lest et quatre mois de vivres pour soixantes hommes mise a la difference de vingt huit pouces gouverne bien, capeye bien, et va de meme a toutes les allures, mais sus le largue particulierement; mais comme elle derive beaucoup, une contrequille luy est absolument necessaire, avec un estrin[?] a l’etambot pour que le gouvernail ne soit pas expose a s’engager lors quil est question de se toüer ou de traverser d’un des amarres.

Which he translated as:

[...] steers well, behaves in storms well, and sails well (or better indeed: the same) in all wind directions, especially at quarter winds. But as it drifts a lot, a false keel (underneath the actual keel) is absolutely necessary to fit, and a heel at the sternpost's bottom, so that the rudder is not entangled by the ropes when hauling (towing) or at the moorings.

The question (primarily for @G. Delacroix ) is therefore, how to add a correct false keel and gripe per French practice. The ship has relatively pronounced inclination aft, so adding a full false keel that is parallel to the original would increase the draft, which I am not sure would have been welcome.

Tentatively, I looked at several contemporary ships after British refits (Embuscade, Unicorn series, which were copies of the privateer Tygre, the corvette Cygnet, ex-Guirlande), which usually did not extend the keel, but added a very dinstinctive gripe, and did the same:

image.png.558645ecc99e5c49112d22f4f56f6295.png

Another way I thought of was adding a triangular false keel that wouldn't increase the draught aft, but increase to certain degree the draught forward.

image.png.a52e676cd59516f6ecd2ba822a4066aa.png

And then there is always a possibility to add a full false keel similar to the Psyche, but at a cost of increasing overall draught:

image.thumb.png.8247ba664e3b3dd96193aaac37c373d6.png

What would be the most correct here?

Edited by Martes

Posted (edited)

Hello

The false keel is used to preserve the keel and to prevent a little the leeway (the drift). On French ships, it is generally only 4 to 5 inches (French) thick, or approximately 11/14 cm. This value does not affect the draft value significantly. On the other hand, its protective role is very important.
However, you should know that not all ships have a false keel.
In the report published at the end of the monograph, there is no mention of gripe, it does not exist in the French navy. The text cites an iron stirrup intended to prevent the rudder from being engaged by an anchor cable. We can also observe this stirrup on the plans of the monograph.

GD

Edited by G. Delacroix

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Gerard!

So do I understand correctly:

- when such a report was submitted, with a captain's request of adding a false keel because the ship is leewardly, the (Toulon) dockyard would most probably simply add ~15 cm parallel to the existing keel, and be done with it?

- if the design was, for any reason, repeated a decade or two later, this additional false keel would be included, but the underwater shape of the cutwater forward would essentially remain the same?

Edited by Martes

Hello,

The recommendations of captains upon returning from campaigns were normally followed if they did not entail excessive expenses. For a false keel 11 cm thick (the ship is small), it is within the realm of possibility. Real anti-drift keels did not appear until the end of the 18th century.
The experience acquired on one construction must logically appear on subsequent constructions but, at the time, ships were built by several different builders and each applied their own experience. The false keel is a minor part which often appears as natural in the construction of the hull even if it is not mentioned in the specifications.

GD