Jump to content

CDR_Ret

Members
  • Content Count

    218
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About CDR_Ret

  • Birthday 02/01/1950

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
  • Interests
    The physical sciences; Worldview, science, and education; Technical and educational writing; Reading: Accurate historical fiction, classical science fiction, biographies; Wood carving and ship models; research projects relating to landform origins, especially the US East Coast Carolina Bays.

Recent Profile Visitors

1,376 profile views
  1. I was contemplating adding a new comment to an existing thread when I clicked on the Reply field at the end of the thread. The entire text of my previous post appeared in the field. Is this an intentional feature? It's been more than a day since I posted last and have shutdown and restarted my computer, so I don't think this was leftover content on the Clipboard or anything like that. Besides, I never selected the entire post. —Terry
  2. Ah, Sea Stories. The things we could tell...
  3. Based on the novel "The Good Shepherd" by C.S. Forester.
  4. Thank you for the detailed response, Jaager. Now that I know what to look for, I went back to the DTM photos and discovered that there indeed appears to be a seam between the inboard waterway and the pieces filling in between the stanchions. That certainly makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your input. Terry
  5. Here is another structural question pertaining to late 19th-century merchant ships. In the 1891 brigantine Galilee, there were massive waterway timbers (11 in. by 15 in.) visible in the photos provided by the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism (ignore the albatross). It is apparent that the waterways, or something else, filled in the open space between the stanchions formed by the upper frames. My question is this: Were the waterways notched for each stanchion, or were there filling pieces (or whatever they are called) added to close off the spaces between
  6. And here is my reconstruction of the capstan and windlass installation in Galilee. Basically, the screw actuators that tensioned the band brakes on the windlass drum were replaced by pry bar-actuated rods that tensioned the band brakes. I'm still not satisfied with the results because the loops which the pry bar fingers engage are much closer to the base of the capstan in my model than shown in the cyanotype photo. So, either the linkage is at a different angle than in the model or there may be a different lever configuration relating to the band brakes themselves. I suspect that windlass inst
  7. Hello Lane. Thank you for your efforts and interest. I'm in the process as we speak of changing out the local hand-crank brake actuator to the topside lever device in my digital model. Looking forward to seeing what you have. Thanks again. Terry
  8. For the DELFTship fans out there, I've posted my latest project in my main plans research thread showing some of the things you can do with the program. Terry
  9. Wefalck, Thanks for the information. In the case of Galilee, she was actually conducting geomagnetic research using very sensitive declination, dip, and, intensity instruments, as well as several standard ship's compasses in general use at the time. The ship swings were essential for cancelling the local influences to determine the absolute elements of the earth's magnetic field. As an aside, the Carnegie Institution eventually built a completely non-magnetic research vessel (the Carnegie) and continued Galilee's work into the late 20s. Sadly, the ship was destroyed by
  10. Evidently this particular "boat" topic has never been brought up in this forum. Late in the 1800s when builders were toying around with more compact and energetic sources of energy for propulsion, they developed the naphtha engine, which used volatile fuels produced by the distillation of petroleum to either heat water to steam or, eventually, to produce propulsion by internal combustion. It was the precursor to gasoline engines. Between the 1890s and around 1905, small- to medium-sized vessels called naphtha launches were very popular with the boating public, and thous
  11. A scholarly article on factors aiding transmission of the virus.
  12. With regards to DELFTship, I am using the program to determine the true deck line along the bulwark of Galilee's hull plan reconstruction. I thought it might be useful for those trying to learn the program if I did a mini-tutorial as I worked on the problem. The first post of the tutorial starts here. I'm including lots of discussion on program features that are really glossed over or ignored in the program manual. Please let me know what you think of the presentation and suggest anything that could be improved upon. Thanks! Terry
  13. I have been devoting a lot of time to DELFTship in the past few weeks while "social distancing." This is the hull of the 1891 brigantine Galilee, in which my grandfather sailed between 1906–08. The hull lines are based on the G.C. Berger plans available from the Smithsonian HAAMS program. They need a lot of work to make them usable, which is why I used DELFTship. The interior views of that old ship are really amazing! Terry
  14. Well, I've spent some of my time during the past two weeks self-isolating from coronavirus exposure to sort through the rabbet question. After taking a look at the DELFTship model as I left it last Fall, I realized that there was very poor fidelity between the model and the original Berger lines plan. So I basically decided to work over the model lines again to attempt as much as possible to approach the original lines. After several iterations, I realized that the lines in the halfbreadth, elevation, and body plans simply were not compatible, so I did the best I could to at least
  15. Nice looking masks, Bob. My wife says she has enough elastic for the apocalypse, which she has been collecting for decades.
×
×
  • Create New...