Stunsails

Just a question for the experts here..

I remember reading somewhere that studding sails were only set in light wind conditions in order to make as much speed as possible under those conditions.

However, some recent discussions about clipper ships, and also recalling numerous paintings of various ships with all sails set, with what appeared to be heavy seas and strong winds;

sometimes with the ship heeled over as if it were going for America's Cup, made me wonder if such depictions were realistic.

I does seem logical to me, that under strong winds and heavy seas, setting all that canvas would not be a good idea, but I'm willing to be educated..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Not an expert, but I suspect some artists use their imagination to create dramatic effect.  To me the whole stuns’l apparatus seems rather weak and only suitable for making the most of light winds.  I bet they were quickly doused when winds picked up (more likely with any indication winds would be picking up).

FWIW,

Keith

Good Evening Everyone;

It must be remembered that clipper ships were a special case: captains drove their crews and their ships hard, and nobody got to be captain of a clipper without thoroughly knowing the ways of a sailing ship, so they had a good idea of where the boundaries were.

The main point was that the first ship back was guaranteed a large premium on the price of its cargo, and the captain stood to get a bonus. Risks were taken in pursuit of this which doubtless most captains and crews would have deemed foolhardy.

The reference to the Americas Cup is a good one, for it was a race: first back to port scoops all the prizes.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS