MS Syren 1803 / Cannons, Carronades, Ships Wheel & FigureHead 1/64

NovaStorm

Good evening er morning or afternoon, 

I am in the process of doing my Syren MS2260 kit inventory. I am planning on bashing this kit which will be my second model ship build to date and have a couple questions hopefully you can help me with. I found a few (what I think are) large discrepancies between the plans and kit provided parts. The carronades are often replaced using these from Cauldercraft. The kit cannonades are the correct length but the width is lacking giving them a very skinny appearance. The long guns kit provided are just shy of 37mm's but on the plans are 43.19mm a fair difference. Cauldercraft have two that I think would work these at 41.6mm or these at 45.5mm. I am leaning toward the 45.5 18lb'er but haven't been able to find what others have used for these two long guns off the stern. Your thoughts would be appreciated. The ships wheel on the plans is 36.94mm but the kit supplied wheel is 26.75mm quite a difference in scale. So I think I will change out the cast one with a real wood wheel while doing the cannons and carronades. 

My other question is in relation to the figurehead. It is my understanding from what I have read that the figurehead of the mermaid was put on the Syren by the British shortly after her capture in 1813 but please correct me if I am wrong. Was the Mermaid used because the original figurehead was not recorded? Your thoughts and or suggestions would be appreciated as I am still quite new to this hobby but loved doing my first build of the MS Bluenose 1/64.

Cheers Nova aka Robin ~

Couple Pics:

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2022[1].jpg

7 hours ago, svein erik said:

it is, yust look for brig syren (by svein erik ) its not finish yet😉

but pleace do look at Dubz build log for the syren , he has outstanding photos of the build☺

svein.erik

Yes I've had a good look at yours Svein it is really coming along nicely :)  Dubz is going to take me a while to get through because I am a picture kind of person lol. I've ordered up cannon's and cannon "balls" thanks for that tip in your log! Probably be mid November before I start mine...

The caronades on my Model Shipways Niagara kit were also too thin. In my case I was looking at (and aiming to replicate) the existing caronades to be found on the present day sail training Niagara and in photos found on the web they were clearly thicker than the white metal kit supplied guns. To alter the kit supplied guns I wrapped tape around their barrels which added girth and then primed and painted them. You can see the process in my Niagara build log.

Niagara USS Constitution