Scale on Constructo Schooner U-604

JeffK

Hi:

I’m a newbie to the site, and just getting back into working on the Constructo Schooner U-604 model my wife bought me over 35 years ago!  

What I didn’t realize at the time is there is no listed scale in the model.  On the plan, it is described as a “16-1/2 inch scale model schooner”.  If I was just going to build the kit, this probably wouldn’t be a problem, but I’m probably going to want to tweak it a bit so knowing the scale would help.  I’m guessing the actual ship would be between 60 - 80 feet.  It has a tiller, not a wheel, and there are 19 timbers per side for the rail.  I’m guessing there are some rules of thumb for timber spacing but i don’t have a clue what they would be.  From perusing various schooner pictures, it would appear a spacing of 3 - 4 feet on the timbers might be a good guess????

Some of the tweaks I’m thinking about would be adding a support boat, modifying the stern, etc.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  

image.jpeg

Welcome aboard, Jeff! I can't tell you the scale on your kit for certain, but the type is definitely a Grand Banks schooner. Just about every kit manufacturer and his brother has put out a kit of Bluenose at one time or another, so I would start with examining dimensions for that vessel. Also have a look at the many Bluenose build logs here.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.  I've looked at some of the Bluenose logs, (as well as other schooners).  There is a wealth of information that will help me through this build!  My restrictions are going to be my skill levels, and the ability of my 10 thumbs.

An excellent reference for these boats is "The American Fishing Schooners, 1825 - 1935" by Howard I. Chapelle.  Has drawings, construction details and history of the type.

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.